Toro time cutter SW5000 Head bolt torque specs

Reverett

Threads
Thanks to all! I've worked on 100's of small and large engines but always able to get good specs that I can trust. But getting info on this engine model has been difficult and somewhat not reliable. ALL of you have pointed me in the right direction and is much appreciated! (BTW.... I use a calibrated snap-on torque wrench that is checked every year) But if manufacturer is putting out inaccurate specs, it doesn't matter how accurate it is if your not applying the correct spec! With the new bolts, I'll put them at 33 ft Lb and use anti-seize compound.

Also, a local Toro dealer told me to just tighten them equally and go 1/4 turn further! I knew better!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Here’s the ARP bolt torque specifications.
I see 24 ft.lb.
Thanks for posting that
I have rubbish internet so searching for a good clear chart was never going to happen
My guess it is a bad translation
Thread shear on a 10 x 1.5 mm bolt is 42 ft lbs but the alloy will yeild way before that 30 to 35 ft lbs depnding upon composition & temper .Considering that very few mowers run anything like high compression those published figures have to be wrong .

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for posting that
I have rubbish internet so searching for a good clear chart was never going to happen
My guess it is a bad translation
Thread shear on a 10 x 1.5 mm bolt is 42 ft lbs but the alloy will yeild way before that 30 to 35 ft lbs depnding upon composition & temper .Considering that very few mowers run anything like high compression those published figures have to be wrong .
You are welcome.
A 10mm bolt is pretty close to a 5/16” bolt. You certainly don’t want to booger up the threads in the block or break the bolt off. All that’s needed is proper clamping pressure on the head gasket.
Here is the SAE chart. 5/16” bolts also list 24 ft.lb.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks to all! I've worked on 100's of small and large engines but always able to get good specs that I can trust. But getting info on this engine model has been difficult and somewhat not reliable. ALL of you have pointed me in the right direction and is much appreciated! (BTW.... I use a calibrated snap-on torque wrench that is checked every year) But if manufacturer is putting out inaccurate specs, it doesn't matter how accurate it is if your not applying the correct spec! With the new bolts, I'll put them at 33 ft Lb and use anti-seize compound.

Also, a local Toro dealer told me to just tighten them equally and go 1/4 turn further! I knew better!
Naw, you are supposed to zip them down with the impact and give it 4 ugga duggas. 🤣🤣🤣

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It is some thing I have tried to get through peoples heads for ages
The actual numbers are not as important as them all being the same
I play with vintage & veteran motorcycles and it is a daily refrain "What is the torque ona 19xy ABC ?"
Well prior to the 60's a tension wrench would only be found in race mechanics tool kits, air craft hangers and military establishments
Cast iron heads it is till the bolt head is home on the surface then 1/2 turn
For alloy it is the same story but only + 2 flats or 1/3 turn .
And as for tensions wrenches, unless they are calibrated and you are working in a temperature controlled environment then no 2 will ever be the same particularly if they are spring loaded .
Deflecting beams are good for several thousand tensions provided you only use the middle 80% of the scale and never go past the upper limit .