Toro SS5000, brakes not holding mower still

JoeKarpowski

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes in this case they are calling the racks, brake arms and the pinions, cogs.

Also Toro is selling them as well as Hydro Gear but HG will be lower in cost normally as you take out one of the middle men; hence, the given part numbers.

And the pinion (cog) is steel. The rack (brake arm) are what appear to be cast aluminum. They maybe zinc but appear to more of a cast aluminum to me.
Good information, thank you!

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have been pulling trailers for over 40 years and know the ins and outs of securing cargo and towing safely. I never said I don't strap the mower down, just what happens if I don't, and then move the trailer. While the comments on that topic are insightful, that's not what I asked about. If you can't contribute to the information I asked about, kindly move on to the next post you might have something insightful to comment on that might actually have to do with what the poster is asking about. Thanks....
I think I did contribute to the information you ask about and what could happen if you didn't. "The brakes won't hold a mower on a trailer due to bouncing of the trailer. Best to strap it down. If you are involved in an accident and the mower comes off the trailler and causes damage it is your fault no matter who caused the accident. Strap it down and be safe."

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
I think I did contribute to the information you ask about and what could happen if you didn't. "The brakes won't hold a mower on a trailer due to bouncing of the trailer. Best to strap it down. If you are involved in an accident and the mower comes off the trailler and causes damage it is your fault no matter who caused the accident. Strap it down and be safe."
Hlw49- You and I both contributed. In fact, there are a select few members who try and actually do help people with questions and concerns, on an ongoing and consistent basis.

JoeKarpowski

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hlw49- You and I both contributed. In fact, there are a select few members who try and actually do help people with questions and concerns, on an ongoing and consistent basis.
I asked if anyone knew WHY the brakes weren't holding, not would happen if I didn't strap the mower down. If I had asked what will happen if I don't strap the mower down, I would agree your response was appropriate- but that's not what I asked about. Have a great day.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It is a dead man system meaning that the brake is normally on & the power turns it off .
It is impossible to slip unless the teeth are very badly worn or the spring that holds the arms to the cogs is week
Unless you get good air under you wheels I cannot see their being enough inertia in the weight of the arms to flick them off the cogs
Check both are in good condition I often see one arm with stripped teeth while the other is fine.
Teeth strip because the neutral is not adjusted properly or people turn the brake on while the machine is still rolling.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The Toro SS5000 uses an electric brake control module so it is not normally a problem with the operator engaging the parking brakes while the mower is moving. Now these modules to go bad but most times they will not allow the mower to even start when they do. What I see here is water getting the water resistance connector, corroding the terminals, and shorting them out.

And I had one new module to fail out of the blue. With it just installed 15 minutes later it started cycling on its own. Magic smoke was release and that was it. Now of course I had also install a new harness per the warranty requirement of the new module. Glad I did buy both from the same place as they tried getting out of the part warranty. I have since gotten just the terminals and connector so I can just replace the bad harness end now.

It not totally impossible but is hard for the brakes to slip the cogs. Now I got one customer with a Bad Boy that has a manual brake release that wears out the cogs as the hydros can power through the braking. He keeps forgetting to release the brakes. It done cost him a RH hydro replacement. Of course now he has a new engine short block because he forgot to put oil back in the engine after draining the oil.

What many techs overlook is that the brake arms can wear in away that if you just take a quick look at them they appear okay. This is because the teeth wear U shape leaving the outer edges of the teeth intact giving a false view of being still good. I highly suggest all techs check these brake arms at least during the annual oil changes even the customer isn't complaining of braking problems. Just to put some blue Loctite back on the mounting screw threads if you remove the brake arms.