Toro SS5000, brakes not holding mower still

JoeKarpowski

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2015 SS5000, model #74631. My issue is that the for the past 2 years the brakes are not holding the mower still while it's on my trailer. When I push the handlebars out and turn the mower off, I hear them engage and I can't move the mower by hand (unless I manually disengage the brakes, fold the handlebars in and turn the key to the "on" position.) When I'm using the mower and go to climb off, but leave it running and push the handlebars out, I cannot move the mower by trying to push it. However, if the mower is on the trailer and I'm pulling the trailer around, the mower rolls around on the trailer unless I strap it down. Also, I am looking for a part # for the small belt that goes around the engine pulley. Any help with these two issues is greatly appreciated. Side note: I replaced the deck and bought all new pulleys and the pulley assembly belt last year.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Mostly the brake arms at the hydros are worn out and needs replacing. Toro PN 106-8688 (Hydro Gear PN 70865). Note the cog gears splines sometime can wear out too. If so they are Toro PN 106-8694 (Hydro Gear PN 51635).

Don't just glace at the arms either as they can appear good, you physically check them.

JoeKarpowski

Forum Newbie
Threads
Okay, I will look into replacing those. Thank you!

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
The brakes won't hold a mower on a trailer due to bouncing of the trailer. Best to strap it down. If you are involved in an accident and the mower comes off the trailler and causes damage it is your fault no matter who caused the accident. Strap it down and be safe.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The brakes won't hold a mower on a trailer due to bouncing of the trailer. Best to strap it down. If you are involved in an accident and the mower comes off the trailler and causes damage it is your fault no matter who caused the accident. Strap it down and be safe.
Good point...Its always better to use common sense. Sorta like remembering to put the pin in the tilt bed trailers. I had one customer last year to back in my driveway and when he stop the trailer bed tilt and the mower came off. I put a bolt and nut on the tongue until he could the pin that he left at home.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Good point...Its always better to use common sense. Sorta like remembering to put the pin in the tilt bed trailers. I had one customer last year to back in my driveway and when he stop the trailer bed tilt and the mower came off. I put a bolt and nut on the tongue until he could the pin that he left at home.
I used to mow commercially for ten years. You have to always strap the mowers down, every time. It is a pain, but cheap insurance. What if you have a bad accident and everything goes flying off of the trailer?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I used to mow commercially for ten years. You have to always strap the mowers down, every time. It is a pain, but cheap insurance. What if you have a bad accident and everything goes flying off of the trailer?
And the way people drive now days it is easy to get into a crash. I was at the local Home Depot yesterday and I was a nervous wreck when I left the parking lot. It seemed that everyone was on a cell phone.

And just think all I was needing was 8-10 17gal storage bins for new parts in my inventory. I use a bin location storage system so parts are easier to find later after they have been stored. Done filled one yesterday.

Last edited:

JoeKarpowski

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have been pulling trailers for over 40 years and know the ins and outs of securing cargo and towing safely. I never said I don't strap the mower down, just what happens if I don't, and then move the trailer. While the comments on that topic are insightful, that's not what I asked about. If you can't contribute to the information I asked about, kindly move on to the next post you might have something insightful to comment on that might actually have to do with what the poster is asking about. Thanks....

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The brake is a rack & pinion
The teeth do brake off or wear down over time
However line the others I would expect it to be sliding Rather than the wheels turning .
Both Rack & pinion are wear parts so are replaceable but they are NOT PART OF THE MOWER.
They are part of the pump/motor unit so need to be purchased from the hydro maker
There should be a barcode sticker on the tranny ( usually 2 or 3 ) to identify the maker , model & serial numbers .
Most have parts books on line .
Been long while since I played with one but from memory ( probably wrong ) the rack is cast zinc & the pinion is steel .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The brake is a rack & pinion
The teeth do brake off or wear down over time
Both Rack & pinion are wear parts so are replaceable but they are NOT PART OF THE MOWER.
They are part of the pump/motor unit so need to be purchased from the hydro maker
There should be a barcode sticker on the tranny ( usually 2 or 3 ) to identify the maker , model & serial numbers .

Been long while since I played with one but from memory ( probably wrong ) the rack is cast zinc & the pinion is steel .
Yes in this case they are calling the racks, brake arms and the pinions, cogs.

Also Toro is selling them as well as Hydro Gear but HG will be lower in cost normally as you take out one of the middle men; hence, the given part numbers.

And the pinion (cog) is steel. The rack (brake arm) are what appear to be cast aluminum. They maybe zinc but appear to more of a cast aluminum to me.