Toro ss4260 oil change - drain setup !

need-for-speed

Threads
I would love to know which imbecile designed the oil drain system and where they got their mail order engineering degree. It's a level of dumbassery I've almost never seen. You slip a hose onto the barbed tee fitting (in cramped space) open the long plug, etc etc....

I'm thinking of replumbing the thing and extending the piping out/towards the back with an ell, a nipple, and a plug (or cap), and cap off the barbed end of the tee. I'm not even sure if the plug on the end of the tee (where I would add an ell pointing towards the back) is NPT. Does anyone know? Anyone come up with a better solution other than sucking it out of the fill pipe?

Maybe I'll see f I can find a size of fuel line / emissions hose that fits onto that barbed end and leave it in place permanently.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The oil change set up is designed by B & S not Toro
Then the engine gets plonked into the frame & out the door they go
Seen many a mower where the supplied engine had an original long oil filter that an not be removed without moving the engine.
Very common on ZTR's .
There are dozens of spring loaded bayonet style oil drain & oil drain extensions
Some with a hose on the end, some without
The other thing to take into account is where the oil from the filter spills to.
The bulk of them dump it right down onto the drive belts
And people wonder why I liked the Kohler Courage mowers with the hang down oil filters for clean oil changes .

Lawn Addict
Threads
You gotta ditch this 1st POS ......................... & add this, OE flex drain line.. On my former Toro 4260 Kawasaki
I had same issue.. You can cut off the drain barb with utility knife, or hacksaw blade, so it can be rotated out of engine block.

BTW: Threads are metric M20 x 2.50 ( I corrected the thread size, Thanks to "Star Tech" for pointing out my error).
Kaw cheap Oil drain.jpgKaw Oil drain hose.jpg

Last edited:

need-for-speed

Threads
You gotta ditch this 1st POS ......................... & add this, OE flex drain line.. On my former Toro 4260 Kawasaki
I had same issue.. You can cut off the drain barb with utility knife, or hacksaw blade, so it can be rotated out.. BTW: Threads are metric M21 x 1.5
View attachment 63551View attachment 63552
Perfect! mine is the Kawasaki engine with that same POS fitting. I was thinking the same thing - I'd have to cut off the barb to turn the fitting. It will be worth it. Thanks again !

need-for-speed

Threads
The oil change set up is designed by B & S not Toro
Then the engine gets plonked into the frame & out the door they go
Seen many a mower where the supplied engine had an original long oil filter that an not be removed without moving the engine.
Very common on ZTR's .
There are dozens of spring loaded bayonet style oil drain & oil drain extensions
Some with a hose on the end, some without
The other thing to take into account is where the oil from the filter spills to.
The bulk of them dump it right down onto the drive belts
And people wonder why I liked the Kohler Courage mowers with the hang down oil filters for clean oil changes .
Thanks Bert. I should have specified that I have the Kawasaki FRV engine.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I had same issue.. You can cut off the drain barb with utility knife, or hacksaw blade, so it can be rotated out.. BTW: Threads are metric M21 x 1.5
View attachment 63551View attachment 63552
Close on the threading but it is M20-1.50 instead of M21-1.50

need-for-speed

Threads
Kawasaki part ordered from Amazon. It's $40 and worth every penny.

Why in TF didn't I do this 10 years ago!!?? Dammit!!! bahahahaha.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Perfect! mine is the Kawasaki engine with that same POS fitting. I was thinking the same thing - I'd have to cut off the barb to turn the fitting. It will be worth it. Thanks again !
Cool, I think the 4260 only came with the Kawasaki engine. Anyhow mine was last year Toro made the 4260 (2014). So I was told.

Last edited:

Lawn Addict
Threads
The Dealer would probably tell you, have to remove the engine bolts & raise the engine to remove the POS poly-plastic drain. but likely they would just saw off the barb, then charge for that the whole deal....

Doing same thing on my Liberty w/Kawasaki engine..

Last edited: