Toro recycler 7.0 will not start with pull chord.

rusty95

Forum Newbie
Threads
When you pull the chord it dosen't turn the motor. Worked fine the last time I used it. Went to start it and the chord did not spin the motor. I was going to take the chord assembly off but it loos to be riveted on. Any ideas.

d_sharier

Threads
There are several variables involved here. One of the major ones is engine manufacturer. I am also assuming that when you squeeze the bail handle, and then pull the CORD in an attempt to start the engine, the cord pulls out and then retracts normally, but does not grab the starter cup and spin the engine. Generically speaking. If the recoil assembly is "riveted" to the blower housing, then the blower housing will need to be removed to inspect it. Most newer recoil starters consist of : handle, rope, starter pulley, recoil spring, and starter pawls or dawgs. (Generic description, there are a million different variations) I am willing to bet that the failure is in the pawl assembly or the piece that they engage. First step, Disconnect the spark plug! The next step will be removing the blower housing. (the housing that the starter is riveted too.) There are probably at least 3, but maybe 4 or more bolts that will need to be removed. Then you should be able to slide the whole assembly up and off. Once you have that removed you can inspect the assembly.Give it a good "once over look" to see if anything looks grossly distorted or broken. A lot of times I invert the housing so I can see the pulley. Then I pull the cord to see if the pawls are thrown out appropriately. Start there and let us know what you find. Sometimes dirt or debris causes pieces to stick and it can be simply cleaned and working again. Most of us aren't that lucky! lol. When you check back please provide the model number of your engine. It may be necessary for any further help and will definitely be necessary if parts are needed. The model number for the engine will be on the engine, not the tag on the mower deck. I know it sounds confusing. If it is a Briggs motor there will be a set of numbers somewhere. Sometimes stamped into the blower housing right above where the spark plug is, sometimes on a piece that sits right above the muffler, and maybe on the valve cover (if it is an overhead valve). Kohler will have a model and spec. number.

Good luck

rusty95

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the quick response. I will get to it tomorrow and post up some information. Do you think the pawls could be frozen in position. I left the mower under the deck and it rained hard the other day and then got cold.