Toro Recycler 20333 won't start

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
what Rivets said. It sounds like your mower is not getting the correct mixture of fuel and air. Normally I use the spray can of Berryman's B12 on carbs. Soaking them in formal-eat-your-hands carb cleaner can dissolve the metal if it is left too long. If there are any rubber O-rings left in the carb it can damage them. Some of the carbs take special tools to remove and replace small O-rings in the carbs. Your "sealer" may be dried varnish in the fuel. Also, some carbs have a float bowl that has to clock the same way it came off.

mower dan

Forum Newbie
Threads
remove front cover and the air filter and try spraying carb cleaner or brake cleaner in the carb and see is it will start. if there is a chock plate make sure it is closing and if you have a primer bulb push it 5 or 6 time while look in to carb to see if its pumping gas in to carb.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Leaky intake pipe for 20 dollars Chuck.

Intake manifold leaking causing vacuum leaks. This has the manifold that crosses over the block to feed the other side of the engine air and fuel. I would install a new one and GENTLY torque the 2 screws down to factory specs. Use your left hand if you are right handed to drop the torque.

Briggs part number is 796703. Cost is 15 bucks.

If you remove you intake pipe, look down into the engine block behind the valves. I had one that plastic air horn piece broke off and eventually got into the cylinder. She is a 5 pack a day smoker now. Bore all gouged up. Similar Toro as this one.

Last edited:

ellaryk

Threads
I fixed it. I bought an electric mower. No gas to buy, store and fill; no air filter to replace; no spark plug to change; no oil to drain and fill. Just sharpen the blade every year. And it's much lighter than the gas mower, making it much easier to push without the need for self-propelled. And stores vertically, freeing up space in my garage. I was waiting for the Toro to fail so I could buy one.
Thanks for all the advice.

Oddjob

Threads
If you have no primer bulb, then does the mower have an autochoke? If so, I would check to see if the choke is closed on startup.

kjonxx

Threads
Check the valve gap also.

Roy697

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have been using Berryman B12 for years now, spring startup is almost perfect for all my stuff. ATV, lawn mowers, weed wacker, ect. everything. A little in the gas cleans well. Good luck.