Toro Recycler 20333 won't start

ellaryk

Threads
I changed the spark plug and checked to make sure it's getting current. I put in fresh gas. Has fresh oil. I removed the float bowl and cleaned the main jet. The throttle springs are OK. All I get is a few pops when I pull the starter cord. The only thing I noticed that's different than other winters is that I left the switch in the on position. I don't see why that would matter.
Has B&S 120102 Type 3256 7.0 engine. No self start so no battery.
Is there anything else I can check before taking it in for service?
Thanks.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
put a little fresh gas on the air filter or in the carb throat and see if it starts. On some models you can remove the air filter to expose the carb, pump the primer bulb and see if gasoline squirts. I usually put a small squirt of gasoline in the carb throat and see it that makes it better or worse.

Looks like not many people come by this forum anymore. Yours is really as simple question. Hope that helps. Also, I have found with my engines that the very best way to start them is to pull the engine thru one time before trying to start it. That helps clean out the cylinder if it is a bit flooded. Then I prime it. Next - I pull the rope out not too fast until I feel it get firm. It is like the engine wants to lock up. Then I pull hard and it starts right up. If it goes all the way out almost before that spot, I let the rope back in and pull firm. Before that I might pull six or eight times before it started. Now once it gets firm I know that the mixture is ready to fire the next full cycle. Starts 1st or 2nd pull each time.

ellaryk

Threads
Thanks. My engine has no primer bulb. But I plan to remove the carb and clean the whole thing. Saw a video of it being done on Youtube with my engine. Not too hard.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Please double check your engine model number, as 120102 does not show up. Or you can post the serial number for the mower and I can cross reference the engine, as there were any few different engines used depending on the year of manufacture.

ellaryk

Threads
It's this: 128T02-3256-B1 SN: 0912225848126.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
With that carb I’m guessing that either the float level has dropped due to a swollen float seat or the idle circuit is clogged. I would be pulling the carb and check the float level and if it is level I would soak the carb for 24 hours or have it ultrasonicly cleaned

ellaryk

Threads
I cleaned the carb by spraying brake cleaner through all the jets and the body. It started running for a second or two after several pulls. Then on the third or fourth try it ran for a minute or so but very rough, then died. Now it won't start. This time the float bowl gasket came off when I reassembled it. I noticed that it had sealant originally holding it in place. Since I have no sealant, I just put it back on the bowl (its a bit oversized) and put the bowl back on. The bowl did appear to seal well. So I don't know if this may be a factor.

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No sealant is used on that gasket.

ellaryk

Threads
Any ideas on what's going on? Should I soak the carb?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I’m not a fan of using brake cleaner on carbs, I only use carb cleaner. Did you check the float level? Turning the carb upside down the float should be level with the carb body or slightly lower on the side opposite the float pin. If the float is level I would be soaking the carb.