Toro - Personal Pace drive problem

lawntender

Threads
I also I think you call it peening or gnarling the new valve seat. I used a center punch and went around the outside of it to push the aluminum against it to keep it seated.
Also put a set of rings in. The mower runs absolutely top top except for this annoying rpm issue.

canuckjohnny

Threads
I have a twin
Ok lawntender ... I think understand now. You got your recently purchased (from Craigslist) 20334's Personal Pace "drive transmission" problem sorted out by installing a new belt and you repacked its "transmission" with your own personal grease formula "Lucas Red and Tacky #2". I'll totally back out of any discussion of whether you should use a better grease formula going forward. I wouldn't have a clue. Somebody else might chime in.

canuckjohnny

Threads
My other mower that I have had for about 3 years has a problem also. It starts and runs real good, but after a couple passes mowing the rpms slow down to what I would call idle speed and it runs like that for a day 30 seconds to maybe a minute or two and then speeds up to the regular rpms. If I try mow again it repeats the same issue. Heads up is I have put in new carb, new governor spring and new air cane spring. I also put in a new governor when I had to replace a valve seat that came loose and I also put in 1 new valve. I think it was the intake valve but I don’t remember for sure. I also lapped the new valve seat and valve with two grits of lapping compound. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Me again lawntender. Your symptom sounds familiar to one I had a few years ago, but I can't find anything that tells me what I did ... other than I took some pictures of the area where I think the "governor" spring is located. I described my problem symptom as the "engine is hunting". I think (but can't remember) that I may have simply thoroughly cleaned this area and it went away. Mine was really dirty (see picture). But it sounds like you've replaced key parts in this area, so you've already done a lot more than I recall doing + a heck of a lot more than I'd even dream of trying. Again I'll back out of this discussion and let somebody that knows a lot more than me chime in.
IMG_20190506_175434.jpg

lawntender

Threads
canuckjohnny,
Thank you for the help. I’m thinking on the personal pace with the rpm issue that I may dig a little deeper into the workings of the governor. I don’t completely understand the governor system so I’ll have to do some more research. Thank you again for the assistance. It is much appreciated.

lawntender

Threads
What type of choke does the engine have?
What you did to the valve seat is called staking.
It has the auto choke guaranteed to start in 2 pulls system. I don’t know what the proper name is for that choke system toro uses. The mower had the low rpm issue I talked about also prior to replacing the valve and valve seat. It seems to me that the issue had abated some before the valve seat came loose.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Since you changed the carb i would suspect the auto choke system having a problem. Spark and compression shouldn't be changing that narrows it down to fuel/air issue.

cruise42

Threads
Thought I jump on with my Personal Pace Drive problem. I getting ready to replace transmission and associated parts on my Toro model 20334, s/n 316000000 Rear Wheel Drive mower.

I've got all the new parts but am looking for some guidance before I proceed.

To make my life a whole lot easier, I purchased a new HOC bearing retainer and ball bearing rather than try to remove and install new bearing in old retainer.

Question...would you suggest using a bench vise to install bearing into retainer or use a hammer to tap into place ?
2nd question...a fiber sleeve is supposed to fit into opposite end of retainer...new sleeve has larger OD than ID of retainer, meaning there is a slight interferenc fit. Is this sleeve supposed to be hammered into place or did I get an out of spec. OEM Toro sleeve ?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You can just tap the bearing into the bearing HOC with a hammer. The sleeve will be a snug fit between the axle shaft and the HOC, I suggest you clean the axle shaft smooth with some crocus cloth and lube the shaft and sleeve when installing.