Toro model 20057 drive axle??

charley95

Threads
I replaced the wheel axle bolts and wheels on my walk behind rear drive self propelled mower. The gear is part of the wheel assembly and also replaced pinion drive gears. Axle bolt bushings come with the new wheels that are pressed into the wheel. The problem is when the drive wheels wear, the bushings elongate or enlarge the hole in the wheel itself so therefore replacing bushings does not correct wheel wobble. When the wheels have wobble in them due to wear, the drive gears slips and doesn't engage fully. The left wheel eventually lost the drive due to severe wear from years of use on my large yard. Now with these parts replaced I get better drive and traction but, not as good on the left drive wheel forcing the mower to pull to the left slightly.

I have noticed the drive axles comming out of the transmission through the aluminum mower deck has enlarged the round opening where bushings ride on the deck. You would think the bushings are designed to wear out instead of the part they are riding in but, it's been the opposite in my case.

There is some play to the drive axle between the deck causing the drive wheels to lean a little. What can I do to tighten up the play between the axle and the deck itself? The drive axle bushings appear to have no wear to them. I am stumped on this one.

Thanks!

charley95

Threads
I replaced the wheel axle bolts and wheels on my walk behind rear drive self propelled mower. The gear is part of the wheel assembly and also replaced pinion drive gears. Axle bolt bushings come with the new wheels that are pressed into the wheel. The problem is when the drive wheels wear, the bushings elongate or enlarge the hole in the wheel itself so therefore replacing bushings does not correct wheel wobble. When the wheels have wobble in them due to wear, the drive gears slips and doesn't engage fully. The left wheel eventually lost the drive due to severe wear from years of use on my large yard. Now with these parts replaced I get better drive and traction but, not as good on the left drive wheel forcing the mower to pull to the left slightly.

I have noticed the drive axles comming out of the transmission through the aluminum mower deck has enlarged the round opening where bushings ride on the deck. You would think the bushings are designed to wear out instead of the part they are riding in but, it's been the opposite in my case.

There is some play to the drive axle between the deck causing the drive wheels to lean a little. What can I do to tighten up the play between the axle and the deck itself? The drive axle bushings appear to have no wear to them. I am stumped on this one.

Thanks!
Anyone know what can be done to correct this??

andy135

Threads
Anyone know what can be done to correct this??

To minimize the play between axle bushing and the lawnmower deck hole. I would try wrap suitable thickness of steel shim on the bushing then stuff it into the lawnmower hole. It can't be 100% tight fit so have to seal it with hard epoxy. The grey round bar about 3/4" diameter with white core. Cut certain length then mix up outer and inner material. Apply to the area it will harden like a rock and hold. make sure the drive axle and bushing is not tight and well lube so it won't seize up causing the bushing to rub against the lawnmower hole again.