TORO GTS 6.5HP Tuneup/Problem

boostedwolfe

Threads
Hi all! Newbie here from Long Island NY. I have been a lurker for quite some time, finally decided to join.

Due to school/family problems/no time/injuries , I was not able to take care of the landscaping for quite some time. I am looking to get some things tuned up/fixed for this up and coming season.

I have A Toro GTS 6.5hp with a few years of use under its belt. It has not been started in about 4 years and the power steering cable is broken. Should I take it to the local tool store with a good reputation for a tune up and fix of the power steering cable? I was thinking about changing the spark plug and oil as well as a good start.

Mikel1

Threads
Sounds good to me. I would also clean/replace air filter and sharpen/replace blade.

Mike88se

Threads
Hi all! Newbie here from Long Island NY. I have been a lurker for quite some time, finally decided to join.

Due to school/family problems/no time/injuries , I was not able to take care of the landscaping for quite some time. I am looking to get some things tuned up/fixed for this up and coming season.

I have A Toro GTS 6.5hp with a few years of use under its belt. It has not been started in about 4 years and the power steering cable is broken. Should I take it to the local tool store with a good reputation for a tune up and fix of the power steering cable? I was thinking about changing the spark plug and oil as well as a good start.

There probably isn't anything on that mower that you could repair/maintain yourself with basic tools. Other than a cracked head, bad rings, piston etc.
Is it a Super Recycler w/ the alloy deck?

boostedwolfe

Threads
Sounds good to me. I would also clean/replace air filter and sharpen/replace blade.

I just ordered a new air filter, spark plug and traction cable to replace my old one. If I have to get anything else, it would probably be a new blade. I want to make this thing run like new.
Also bought some new oil for my oil change.

boostedwolfe

Threads
There probably isn't anything on that mower that you could repair/maintain yourself with basic tools. Other than a cracked head, bad rings, piston etc.
Is it a Super Recycler w/ the alloy deck?

I will be attempting that this weekend for the regular maintenance.
No, it is the 22 inch pull start. The super recyclers are the 21 inch right?

Mike88se

Threads
I will be attempting that this weekend for the regular maintenance.
No, it is the 22 inch pull start. The super recyclers are the 21 inch right?
Sorry I meant nothing you could not repair or maintain. I believe it is a 21. Same basic style Toro/Exmark have used for decades on commercial models altho it isn't really a commercial mower. Great cut but the Briggs isn't as strong as a Kawi or Honda. Speaking of Honda I picked up this Toro and a Honda Masters series after I sold my Turfmaster. Only had room to keep one permanently. I sold the Honda ;)
Good luck this weekend. There are some people here who know everything in case you run into any snags.