Toro/B&S engine question

thurmjw

Threads
Changed it out last night. Cleaned everything really well. She fired right up and ran well and is still blowing a lot of smoke. I ran it about 3 -5 minutes. Runs like a champ, except for the smoke.
I am not seeing (yet) all the oil from the exhaust tube that it was previously spewing (re-breather? what do you call that thing?)
I did the test with the oil cap and it bounces around all over the place still. Lots of air pressure coming from the tube i guess?
Keep running it and see what breaks?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You have a blown head gasket.

thurmjw

Threads
Hi, Thanks for your reply. I just replaced the head gasket based on your previous remarks. Please read the entire thread. It posted my reply on a second page and confused me as well. Today's post is after the head gasket replacement. Is there something else that could cause the smoke? Is the smoke indicative of oil getting into the combustion chamber? Or maybe I need to run it more to burn off any remnants of parts cleaner, carbon deposits?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Did you change the oil also, as it is probably contaminated. I always do this after I replace a head gasket. It will smoke for awhile until you get all the oil out of the muffler.

upupandaway

Threads
"21 super recycler, 1 year or so old." It might be a little too late but isn't your mower covered for 2 years?

thurmjw

Threads
Good point! I think its a 2019 manufacture date, but I bought it second hand. I will look into that. Thanks!

thurmjw

Threads
nope. you have to have your sales receipt it says. I picked this up second hand. the trouble wasn't worth the savings.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Super Recycler units, cast deck, normally have a 5 year warranty, but depending on the dealerships in your area you probably lost your warranty by opening up the unit. Your serial number shows the unit to be either a 2015 or 2016, maybe even 2017, depending on when it was sold.

thurmjw

Threads
Ah. I took a look at the cylinder walls and they are scratched all to hell and back. Lots of vertical scrapes up and down the side on right and left side with pitting as well. The top and bottom of the cylinder look good. I imagine this was allowing oil past the cylinder into the combustion chamber. I think this mower is toast.

thurmjw

Threads
maybe I could put my honda mower engine from a machine with a worn out tranny on the toro mower?