Toro 20622 3spd transmission question

Ejd148

Threads
Hi,

I have a 20622 that won't roll in neutral. I pulled the transmission and opened it up to see if there was any unusual wear. Everything looks to be working properly with no visable wear. I can switch through all 3 speeds and see that they are working properly with the case open. My problem is when I put the other half on and start to tighten the bolts. The case sits flush and the axle will spin freely without being bolted down but as soon as I put in a couple bolts it seizes and won't spin. I'm almost certain I have everything aligned properly inside, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Find Genuine Toro Parts

Toro | install all bolts and leave them loose then try putting in first gear & tighten 2 bolts 180 degrees apart & see if axle spins, if it locks up loosen bolts & try second then third gears accordingly, make sure you have appropriate amount of fluid or grease in transmission per toro instructions.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Make sure that the bronze axle bushings are installed correctly. They should sit flush with the housing before installing the cover plate.