Top Five Safety Procedures for Ride-On Mowers

A thread in this forum discusses safety features. Here I'd like to ask about safety procedures that we can take to protect our kids, whether the ride-on mower is running or parked.

When I was a kid, the operator stopped the mower in the middle of the field and left it for around five minutes to do something urgent. He killed the engine. That was a good safety procedure. Curious kids went around the machine, inspecting every inch of it. Just imagine what would have happened if he left the engine running.

What in your experience are the top five safety procedures for ride-on mowers?

Number one forestry rule: If it has motor it has the right of way, this can be applied to everything

There is a whole series of "If you" rules/guides:
If you open it close it etc
If you don't know what it is you may get hurt may
If you don't now what it is and it has a motor it could kill you

The list goes on and on and on

John
 
I would just like to say that I have NEVER allowed a child, of any age, to ride with me on a lawnmower while mowing the grass.:thumbsup:
Just yesterday I saw a young woman that was holding what looked to be a 6 month old baby while mowing with a riding mower.:mad:
After it happens--it's too late:thumbdown:
 
Here's my four:

  • Know your terrain
  • Know your machine
  • Use your head
  • Pay attention for cryin out loud!!!!!!

...and a fifth:
  • If in doubt, DON'T!!
 
The most important safety feature of any tool or machine is the operators BRAIN !
(That is if a brain is present and in operation)
The best procedure is to engage the brain FIRST ! :eek: :rolleyes: :biggrin: :laughing:
 
Can you imagine that these things used to not be on the mowers? I don't know what must have happened to the early users. You know, everyone rule is put in place for a reason. I feel really bad for those guinea pigs!
 
Can you imagine that these things used to not be on the mowers? I don't know what must have happened to the early users. You know, everyone rule is put in place for a reason. I feel really bad for those guinea pigs!

There use to be a LOT more 'common Sense' blowing in the air years ago... I'm not sure what caused the apparent shortage but there was not a great need for all the warning stickers and safety devices on equipment in past decades...
I sometimes think something contaminated the gene pool, and we are living in the results of it... :smile:KennyV
 
There use to be a LOT more 'common Sense' blowing in the air years ago... I'm not sure what caused the apparent shortage but there was not a great need for all the warning stickers and safety devices on equipment in past decades...
I sometimes think something contaminated the gene pool, and we are living in the results of it... :smile:KennyV

It seems that way to me too, but when I think about it for long enough I may have some "good old days" selective memory going on. Growing up in the 1960s we had a neighbor across the street who was missing part of his hand from clearing a grass clog on his push mower. It was a dumb thing to do, but an operator presence control bar would have prevented it. Then there were a fairly steady stream of stories about guys pulling stumps with their tractors and having the front end come up and over the top of them. ROPS would have saved them. Remember when there used to be one or two auto racing deaths every week? Now it's a rarity. But it goes too far sometimes. I don't need a sticker on a hair dryer telling me not to use it in the bathtub, but you know somebody found that out the hard way and the lawyers don't want to let me forget it. :laughing:
 
Common Sense is less and less common ! :eek:

Like someone figured out hot coffee burns if you spill it in your lap ! :shocked:

We need judges with common sense who would throw that kind of case out and charge the client and the lawyer for all the court costs + a stupidity fine ! Our national debt could be reduced with those fines.

. I don't need a sticker on a hair dryer telling me not to use it in the bathtub, but you know somebody found that out the hard way and the lawyers don't want to let me forget it. :laughing:
 
There use to be a LOT more 'common Sense' blowing in the air years ago... I'm not sure what caused the apparent shortage but there was not a great need for all the warning stickers and safety devices on equipment in past decades...
I sometimes think something contaminated the gene pool, and we are living in the results of it... :smile:KennyV

SOOO well said. :thumbsup:
 
Frivolous lawsuits didnt help either......All these colorful little stickers covers John Deere's arse......
 
Back
Top