Too many models!!!!

tsduke

Forum Newbie
Threads
I think I'm down to getting a Honda vs a Snapper. I have a Toro now, and while I like the personal pace it didn't last very long. I also have a rough yard and wonder if it's not worse with personal pace.

Pretty sure I want HRX. I can't decided whether to go Smart or Cruise. Buying a mower shouldn't be this hard. :) I can see pro's/con's to each. Seems the Smart drive would be easier to maneuver around shrubs and turn around, but it doesn't have a blade stop. I also wonder if the cruise version would be a hard transition for my wife from the Toro.

What are the biggest things to consider between the 2?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You don't say which Toro mower you presently have. I assume that you have a unit with a steel deck, which will not last long on a rough lawn. As a Toro man I suggest you take a look at the Toro's with a cast aluminum deck. It will last as long as the Honda's at the same approximate cost, plus no retraining of your wife, which she will like.

tsduke

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the recycler personal pace with Tecumseh. Steel deck from 05 I think. The tranny is shot.

What I don't like about Toro is they now only have a Toro 159cc engine. Not sure I want a new design engine. They have a Honda engine model but only the 160cc.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You are correct on engine size, but I have found that this new engine will handle just about anything you try to mow, it has enough power. I have had this engine apart, I know it is a Chinese built engine, and I like the bearings not bushings on the crank, cast iron sleeve. What I like best at this time is that Toro is backing these mowers with a 5 year complete coverage warranty. This covers everything but routine maintenance. I like the model 20381 and 20383 the best. For as long as I have work on Toro equipment, they have always backed up their products and these is very true when they bring out new lines. This is only my opinion, and many will say it ain't worth a darn, as I'm only a grease monkey and not a professional mechanic. Use what I post at your own risk.

Threads
I think I'm down to getting a Honda vs a Snapper. I have a Toro now, and while I like the personal pace it didn't last very long. I also have a rough yard and wonder if it's not worse with personal pace.

Pretty sure I want HRX. I can't decided whether to go Smart or Cruise. Buying a mower shouldn't be this hard. :) I can see pro's/con's to each. Seems the Smart drive would be easier to maneuver around shrubs and turn around, but it doesn't have a blade stop. I also wonder if the cruise version would be a hard transition for my wife from the Toro.

What are the biggest things to consider between the 2?

Personally I would get the Honda with the cruise control. I would get this mower because of the fact it has the blade stop. I DO have this mower, and I love it! I would get this over a Toro because of the NeXite deck. It is super strong, and it also repels some of the grass over an aluminum deck.

tsduke

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is the cruise a pain if turning around a lot?

Last edited:
Threads
Is the cruises pain if turning around a lot?

No....it's super easy. All you have to do when turning around is let go of the drive lever, turn around, and then push it in again. If you mean weaving around flowerbeds and stuff that is easy, too. It works almost like the Smart Drive. There are the set speeds you can go, but if you only press in the drive lever say half way, you can alternate your speed that way. Check out this video:

scott47429

Threads
you might want to check out the new Husqvarna 4x4 self propelled push mower if you have ruff uneven ground it has the honda engine i used one the other day and its pretty neat good luck

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Forget that video, just a piece of promotional hype. Level ground, short and dry grass, easy obstructions.

stygz

Threads
I have a Lawnboy Platinum (Toro with AL deck/ Super Recycler) with B&S 6.75 tq rated motor (190cc). Mine also has personal pace. I have owned my mower for five years and absolutly no issues with the transmission. I have used a relitives steel deck toro that was purchased the same day as mine and I can tell you it does not cut or perform as well as the Toro super recyclers / Lawnboy Platinum. I would not hesitate on the new Toro motor. Seems to be built very well. On the other hand my next mower will be a Honda (hopfully this year). I say this because since buying this mower I have moved south and went from fescule grass to Bermuda. My Bermuda lawn requires more power/torque than my northern grass ever did. I keep a sharpened blade but my Lawnboy still labors even at a crawl cutting less than 1/3 of the blade.

Last summer I was mowing my back yard when all of the sudden my B&S motor started to smoke ALOT. It was hot out and my mower was good on oil. Anyway I kept going and after about 10min the mower stopped smoking and it has not happened since. I wonder what happened? I was kind of hoping it was going to give up the ghost so I could get a Honda but it keeps going.