to pivot or not to pivot?

poloman

Threads
That is the question. I have the option on my new used Ariens 1640. Which is best and why?

LawnSmith

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Gravely 52 inch that I run with the pivot. It makes the mower considerably more stable on inclines. I have a hill that I mow that is about 25 degrees, and with the pivot I can mow the hill easily going up at a 45 degree angle. Without the pivot, I cannot mow the hill. Some say that it can cause scalping with the pivot, but I have not had that problem.

earthworm

Threads
A 52" must be a rider....imagine one without pivoting front wheels....unthinkable...
But I have a LB 21" and its getting hard to turn, I think the engine is centered too much...too much weight on the front wheels.
I like the pivoting wheels concept, but as yet few have this ( of the push mowers)

earthworm

Threads
That is the question. I have the option on my new used Ariens 1640. Which is best and why?

I like to mow in circles - this looks great - artistic.
But, without swiveling front wheels, this is hard !
Also, I have many beds and buildings.
The light-weight LB is good for these tasks.

poloman

Threads
Pivoting in this case means the left and right ends of the front axle can move vertically pivoting on a point in the center of the axle. The wheels already rotate around vertical shafts at each end of the front axle.

earthworm

Threads
Pivoting in this case means the left and right ends of the front axle can move vertically pivoting on a point in the center of the axle. The wheels already rotate around vertical shafts at each end of the front axle.

I was hoping this was about the push mower with swiveling front wheels.
The old Ford, up to '48 had this pivot feature in their front ends..
My lawn tractor also pivots, I guess most do.

alienball

Forum Newbie
Threads
My question- why would someone NOT want to pivot? Thanks

LawnSmith

Forum Newbie
Threads
My question- why would someone NOT want to pivot? Thanks

There is less chance of scalping if you do not pivot. However, if you pay attention, you will not have a problem with that.

earthworm

Threads
Scalping ??
I cannot see how pivot or non-pivot is a factor..If a lawn is laid out properly, then, this scalping is impossible...
Of course, being "poor", none of my lawns were ever set up and landscaped nicely...most started life as open fields for cattle...and little else was ever done..