To heel or not to heel..

nbpt100

Threads
Are people confusing the rear being higher for lower? I am just trying to follow this conversation. I recall reading somewhere the rear should be a tad lower. Several folks above are saying higher???? I am not questioning your experiences. I Just want to make sure there is no confusion.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Are people confusing the rear being higher for lower? I am just trying to follow this conversation. I recall reading somewhere the rear should be a tad lower. Several folks above are saying higher???? I am not questioning your experiences. I Just want to make sure there is no confusion.
Most riding mower manufacturers say to have a slightly downward pitch in the front. That is usually 1/8” to 1/2” lower than the rear. See the owners manual. Most small walk behind residential units are usually set at level all around.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Most riding mower manufacturers say to have a slightly downward pitch in the front. That is usually 1/8” to 1/2” lower than the r
Yep, but when operator gets on that pitch changes. I set mine to include my body weight.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Heeling has the rear of the deck lower
So the front of the deck lops the top off the grass and the back of the deck trims it nice
The side basically only cut once
You get a nicer cleaner cut but you have to cut slower because the blades are cutting twice

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yep, but when operator gets on that pitch changes. I set mine to include my body weight.
And, that is what works best for you and your mower.
It took quite a bit of adjusting to get mine to cut like I wanted.
The deck adjustment is not a one fits all sort of deal.

Lawn Addict
Threads
True, but if you want 1/8*' pitch forward, that would be variably less when operator is onboard, is what I meant.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
True, but if you want 1/8*' pitch forward, that would be variably less when operator is onboard, is what I meant.
I get you. My point is everyone is different in size and weight. The same goes with mowers. Also, mowers of different brands are going to have decks with slightly different designs.
There’s also a reason mower manufacturers say that deck should be set anywhere from 1/8” to 1/2” pitch downward in the front. There is a sweet spot. The operator just has to find it.

Lawn Addict
Threads
True indeed Sir..