Tired of Lawn Care Company

tlavergne

Threads
I have tried several lawn care companies and am not happy with their results. The big companies come on certain dates regardless of the weather (and try to sell me every service in the world) and the smaller local guy I am now using is not responsive to my emails or calls. So, I am going to go it on my own. I have a half an acre in central Ohio. What kind of spreader...drop or broadcast? What brand of lawn chemicals do folks find the best? I live about a half an hour away from Scott's Lawn so they are on all the store shelves. Am going to rent a core aerator and over seed this fall. Any info would be most appreciated.
Thanks.
TL

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have tried several lawn care companies and am not happy with their results. The big companies come on certain dates regardless of the weather (and try to sell me every service in the world) and the smaller local guy I am now using is not responsive to my emails or calls. So, I am going to go it on my own. I have a half an acre in central Ohio. What kind of spreader...drop or broadcast? What brand of lawn chemicals do folks find the best? I live about a half an hour away from Scott's Lawn so they are on all the store shelves. Am going to rent a core aerator and over seed this fall. Any info would be most appreciated.
Thanks.
TL

Can I ask what the problem was with the results. I can see why there may have been a problem with the big companys showing up regardless of the weather but as far as the job itself why were you unhappy. I'd come in under the smaller local guy but I carry a phone with me at all times. I think if you could explain the problems it may help some of business owners understand the clients point of view. I guess what I'm trying to say is if we don't know what's broke, we can't fix it.

tlavergne

Threads
I have grass that is dead...not dormant but dead. We had a tough drought here last year along with some insect damage, and while I certainly don't expect miracles I expect my calls and emails to be returned. He gave me a date that he would come but he was a no show. As an individual I really like this guy. His enthusiasm, education, and experience is what I am looking for. I just need someone who will come when he says he will and/or return calls. Believe me, I would much rather support a local business and utilize this fellows expertise. I just called his cell and left one more message. If he doesn't call back then I need to get something else done. Right now I am researching what I need to do while I have the fall weather. I appreciate your response.
TL

tlavergne

Threads
I called the young man that runs the company and left yet another message, this time with a little tone to my voice. An hour later he was knocking on my door with his crew. We worked out our problems and I am satisfied. Lots of work getting done at the moment. Thanks for giving me the push to call one more time. I really did not want to tackle all of it myself. Great young man, just a bit over extended perhaps.
A happy camper,
TL

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I called the young man that runs the company and left yet another message, this time with a little tone to my voice. An hour later he was knocking on my door with his crew. We worked out our problems and I am satisfied. Lots of work getting done at the moment. Thanks for giving me the push to call one more time. I really did not want to tackle all of it myself. Great young man, just a bit over extended perhaps.
A happy camper,
TL

Glad to see you have thing straightened out, hope it stays that way. :thumbsup:

TaskForceLawnCare

Threads
That's really good to hear your ( customer perspective ) it's the perspective that matters. It's also really cool that you worked it out. Not sure why he didn't call you back but i can completely understand being overwhelmed this time of year.

tlavergne

Threads
Yes, I can certainly see how busy he would be and I understand that. My biggest complaint with him was lack of communication. I'm pretty much okay with anything as long as I know what's going on. Just keep me informed. Have my circa 1950's sprinkler running. I love that sound...takes me back to when I was a kid when sprinklers were not plastic.

tlavergne

Threads
Besides the drought from 2012 that my lawn did not really recover from, I have grubs pretty bad. He plug aerated, over seeded, fertilized with a granular, and sprayed for grubs. Watering everything in now. Pretty muddy. Should be really nice this spring.