Tire Pressure

fsagames

Threads
I've been reading lately in miscellaneous forums that folks are inflating their drive and front tires with pressures of 8-12 PSI. I have a Hustler X-ONE, and for all of these years I have been inflating my tires with the max pressure embossed on the side of the tire (20 PSI rear, 28 front). It never occurred to me that PSI made much of difference in how easy or hard it is to mow the lawn as well as impact the finished look. I'm also wondering would that diminish the scalping I've done when I turn the machine one way or another, and maybe keep me from getting stuck in the mud every so often? I've been using this machine for 12 years, and now I feel like a dope for not knowing this kind of stuff!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Just my way of doing it. On Z-turn units I always inflate the front tires to 20 psi and rear to 10 psi. According to the owners manual Hustler recommends 8-12 psi for both front and rear.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
I Run 15 in the front and 8 to 10 in the rear. The less pressure you run in the rear the more tread you have on the ground and are less ap to spin. Also the less pressure the softer the ride. If you are tareing up the turf learn to make a three point turn. Seldom tare up the turf this way. The reason people tare up the turf is when they turn they stop the inside wheel and turn with the out side tire this just screws the inside tire in the ground. In a true zero turn you use both levers pull back on the inside tire lever and push forward on the outside tire lever.

fsagames

Threads
Just my way of doing it. On Z-turn units I always inflate the front tires to 20 psi and rear to 10 psi. According to the owners manual Hustler recommends 8-12 psi for both front and rear.
Yeah. I finally read that in the owners manual 12 years late.

GearHead36

Threads
On Z-turn units I always inflate the front tires to 20 psi and rear to 10 psi.
This is how I do it. My ZTR has a steering wheel, and if the fronts are low, it becomes harder to turn the steering wheel. Mine isn't one of those new fancy ones with power steering. I got a steering wheel model for the slope holding capabilities, and 20 psi in the fronts gives me plenty of lateral grip for slopes.

10 psi in the rears (instead of 20) allows a slightly smoother ride, which translates into slightly faster mowing on bumpy ground. My max speed is determined by how much the ground beats me up.

Lawn Addict
Threads
My Scag OM states 25 for fronts & 8 psi in rears.