Tire pressure

toledoupsguy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Relatively new ZTR owner, got a Apex 52. Is the tire pressure Ariens recommends correct? 15-18psi rear, 20-25psi front. Got it from lowes and had about 8 rear and 12 front.

Thanks in advance.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
From my experience I would go with 15 psi in the rear and 25 psi in the front.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I run 13psi all around on my Pro Turn 260.
It will be up to you for your personal comfort. I suggest to try 12 psi in the rear and 15 psi up front and adjust for your comfort.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Every Z-turn mower I’ve worked on has the front tire pressure at least twice the pressure as the rear.

Lawn Addict
Threads
My Scag takes 8 psi in rears, & 25psi in fronts.

Last edited:

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Relatively new ZTR owner, got a Apex 52. Is the tire pressure Ariens recommends correct? 15-18psi rear, 20-25psi front. Got it from lowes and had about 8 rear and 12 front.

Thanks in advance.
With those recommended pressures, I would set at the lowest for each.
15 psi for rear and 20 psi for front. If it’s too bumpy, drop the rear pressure to 12-13 psi for rear and 15 psi for the front.

toledoupsguy

Forum Newbie
Threads
With those recommended pressures, I would set at the lowest for each.
15 psi for rear and 20 psi for front. If it’s too bumpy, drop the rear pressure to 12-13 psi for rear and 15 psi for the front.
I didn't think it was too bumpy since I have a suspension seat on it but I did slide on slopes where it never has before.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I didn't think it was too bumpy since I have a suspension seat on it but I did slide on slopes where it never has before.
Lower air pressure will help with some of the slipping.
I had a similar size Toro ZX5400. I ran 15 up front and 13 in the rear. That setup was settled on after some trial and error.

RingSteel

Forum Newbie
Threads
Get your PDF manual from Ariens website.
Also tire pressure will affect blade height compared to the built in adjustments. So I've read.
I'm not a landscaper so perfect cuts are not my priority.
Seat time will tell you what works best once you've gotten Ariens manual for their recommended pressures.
IF you have 10 degree slopes dropping down a psi or two will help with grip.
I've got a three point grip on mine: two tires and my pucker factor keep me planted....
Slopes on my area based on tractor mounted incline-meter and tilt-meter. 12-15 degrees are my "don't go there" limits.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
One thing to consider on your front tire pressures. There isn’t much weight on the front of a zero turn. The more air that is in the front tires, the more bounce you will get on rough terrain.