Tiny part from magnito

Papa Larry

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Sears edger model #536.797481 with a Tecumseh 3.8 hp motor mod 143.973505. I found a tiny part(in two pieces)(see photo) and from what I found it came from the magneto. As of now it seems this part is no longer available. I did get the motor started once before I found the broken pieces. Do I need to replace the magneto? I bought the edger from a Habitat for Humanity restore because it looked like it had been cared for. Its date of manufacture is 70830. What does that translate to? Thanks for any advice.
Larry Scott

Attachments

• IMG_0083.jpeg
    IMG_0083.jpeg
    563.7 KB · Views: 12

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
I have a Sears edger model #536.797481 with a Tecumseh 3.8 hp motor mod 143.973505. I found a tiny part(in two pieces)(see photo) and from what I found it came from the magneto. As of now it seems this part is no longer available. I did get the motor started once before I found the broken pieces. Do I need to replace the magneto? I bought the edger from a Habitat for Humanity restore because it looked like it had been cared for. Its date of manufacture is 70830. What does that translate to? Thanks for any advice.
Larry Scott
Yes you need to replace ignition coil. Just locate engine model number and order a compatible coil from online.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
if you retire it for lack of the part, I am interested in the quill assembly and blade shaft etc. No idea where in the USA you are but there is a fellow near me here in NorCal with almost the same edger for a very reasonable price. I thought of buying it just for the quill but the motor is good and I didn't want to destroy a working edger just for the quill.

This is a photo of his edger. I has the same quill as yours and mine and maybe the same motor too. I've got no place to store it if I buy it but it would be too expensive to ship the engine if you are not reasonably local. He indicated he was willing to take $70 for it if you are nearby and the engine would work for you. I would take the quill and split the cost. Usually a running one around here sells for about $150 but with everything going EV not many of these are selling now. The quills on these break, I am on my 3rd one in 20 years and it has been welded back together 3 times. It is an NLA part. The quill is the bar that holds the shaft, blade and blade guard. There are many variants. This one comes up as part #321 on the photos and is a 338070MA superseded to 740039MA.

edger.jpg

Last edited:

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thank you. I've sent them an e-mail to confirm it is available. Everywhere else it has been NLA the last 10 years, including the superseded part number. That said, $145 plus shipping, and then paying a welder to improve on the factory welds makes for an expensive part. I am hoping to find a good used one where the edger has died and someone is parting it out, but I will consider it if they have one.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not the primary one shown, but below is your part number for $43.00

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
that one came back as an L shaped blade brake. The other quill listed at $67 could also be called a PTO clutch assembly.

The quill on the edger is this part #321

quill.jpg

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
really strange - the page I got last time did not have those items at the bottom. It had other ones that were completely different. Totally different prices too. I will write them again and not close the page until I do. Thank you for your perseverance.