Export thread

Timemaster 30"

D

Derek

This looks like a new mower from Toro, 30" wide twin blade.
Toro | Timemaster

G

granville

I like it....

E

earthworm

So do I, due to the concept and the reviews.
But I'd like to see caster wheels in front...this is a heavy one...no two stroke.
The balance had better be nigh perfect, I probably spend as much time turning, as I do running in a straight line.

R

Rivets

Have used it and you should have no problems turning or going straight. Well balanced for that size of unit.

E

earthworm

I have done some more research on this matter - the Toro 30" mower.
10% or so state that the 30" Timemaster is "junk"
Weak front wheels and brackets, cracked welds.
Leaky, malfunctioning carburetors.
A frail, too small transmission.
Too heavy, hard to maneuver
Lack of support from Toro, lack of spare parts
Definitely not for rough lawns, like mine
..................but.....................
90% love them, find nothing wrong !
Does Toro have quality control problems ?
I think we do need reform in the manner in which we do business !
Now on the 6th year, LawnBoy 10685...no problems...no complaints...unusual for me.
I am to understand that during this time, Toro was building the LawnBoys.

R

Rivets

Haven't had one complaint on the machines we have sold. Don't know where you did your research but when I contacted my tech rep with Toro today and listed your complaints he said that he has not heard any of those comments. This mower has only been out for three months Max, hard for me to understand. Lawn Boy has been part of Toro since 1989, a lot longer than 6 years. Both lines are well respected in the industry. I think you will see that you are judging the TimeMaster a bit early, with bad for the most part info. I would like to hear from you about this a year from now.

E

earthworm

Haven't had one complaint on the machines we have sold. Don't know where you did your research but when I contacted my tech rep with Toro today and listed your complaints he said that he has not heard any of those comments. This mower has only been out for three months Max, hard for me to understand. Lawn Boy has been part of Toro since 1989, a lot longer than 6 years. Both lines are well respected in the industry. I think you will see that you are judging the TimeMaster a bit early, with bad for the most part info. I would like to hear from you about this a year from now.

My take on this
Home Depot probably sells 10 times the units that your company and PED put together do.....after all, how many HDs are there in the good ole USA ??
I visited the HD site and read the reviews..But, its strange that so many people love the very machine that others hate...
So, I do think that Toro has QC problems, and this shows up with greater numbers...
I have owned the LB 10685 for 6 years....its an excellent machine.
An early judgement ?
YES, but if one plans to buy now, there is no other choice...
BTW, how many people know how to properly complain, or take the time to do it ???
Most (like me) just vent over the internet..

R

Rivets

In my opinion Those who use Home Depot are looking for price breaks and not quality. Toro has no price breaks for anyone and all sellers are to abide by pricing guidelines. So why buy there? Very easy to complain at HD. They will take returns for any reason valid or not. We use to do warranty work for them, but they droped us and all dealers in the area, because we would not warranty everything for them. Take a guess how many people brought back mowers and snowblowers which ran tight because the purchaser never put in oil. HD just gave them a new unit and then wanted us to do the repairs under warranty. Didn't happen. If you really think Toro has quality control problems take a look at the number of threads posted on this forum under each manufacturer. You may want to jump to a conclusion at this time, but I don't feel that by posting that conclusion you are doing a disservice to the members and bashing a manufacturer without good reasons. Only MY OPINION and maybe I haven't worked on enough different machines to base that opinion on. Might be wrong, time will tell.

I

ILENGINE

Maybe if the manufacturers would put the product back into the dealers hands were it should be, they wouldn't have the problems that some people are encountering. Mowers would be set up by the dealer, oil checked, and unit ran before leaving the dealership. Then if the customer had a problem it would be taken care of in a more professional manner, within warranty guidelines.

R

Rivets

You should read the post "Buying from a dealer". That person really said it well.

E

earthworm

I bought the 10685 LawnBoy from Kerrys 6 years ago, and the Honda from Home Depot a week earlier . Just like today, the better units seem to be only at the dealers.
The Honda had a hopelessly defective grass catcher....
But this defect was overlooked by Consumers Report....they should stick with toasters and vacuum-cleaners...
Kerrys is good, very good, IMO.
I do not like the big box stores in general. I know that HD trains a camera on their employees...so where is the trust ?
So, today, its off to Kerrys to check out the 30" Toro and to hopefully buy a new better blade for the LB.

E

earthworm

In my opinion Those who use Home Depot are looking for price breaks and not quality. Toro has no price breaks for anyone and all sellers are to abide by pricing guidelines. So why buy there? Very easy to complain at HD. They will take returns for any reason valid or not. We use to do warranty work for them, but they droped us and all dealers in the area, because we would not warranty everything for them. Take a guess how many people brought back mowers and snowblowers which ran tight because the purchaser never put in oil. HD just gave them a new unit and then wanted us to do the repairs under warranty. Didn't happen. If you really think Toro has quality control problems take a look at the number of threads posted on this forum under each manufacturer. You may want to jump to a conclusion at this time, but I don't feel that by posting that conclusion you are doing a disservice to the members and bashing a manufacturer without good reasons. Only MY OPINION and maybe I haven't worked on enough different machines to base that opinion on. Might be wrong, time will tell.
Ilengine has the good points.....

Imagine if automobiles were sold by the big box stores.
This was tried back in the 50s; remember the HenryJ and the Allstate ??
Now its lawn mowers with stereo and air conditioning !
All the manufacturers seem to have QC problems , to a lesser or greater extent..
IMO, the voice of the people should NOT be silenced...but, I will change the complaint level from 10% to 2%...and I do not think the big-box stores help this any..
Kerrys of Mechanicsberg is sold out of the Timemaster 30"....as is PED
I wish to do my own test of this machinery...I do not trust Consumers Reports...they should only test toasters and vacuums...

C

car3559

I bought the Toro Timemaster 30"mower; previously had a Honda twin blade mower.
The Timemaster absolutely has the edge on cutting time with the 30" cut.
Handling of the Timemaster is equal if not better than the Hondaeven given its size.
Hands down, the Honda mulched better than the Timemaster.
I have cut my lawn at least 10 times this year with the new Timemaster and there is an issue with clumping of the grass under the deck. I believe there is a design problem with the Timemaster as far as how the grass catches up under the deck.
It is not that the Timemaster does not cut the grass into fine particles. The mulchings are very fine but they get hung up and then clump out as you mow.
I've been cutting grass for over 35 years and am fairly particular about my yard/grass.
Very disappointed in amount of grass under deck at end of mowing.
The washout port does not eliminate all the grass. You have to scrape out clumps before using hose and washout port.
Would not recommend this mower and it hurts to say this as all guys like to brag about how good their equipment is; especially after putting out $1000.

E

earthworm

Clumps...
During bagging or mulching....not so good.
I think some spray on the deck might help, I have not tried this.
Like you, Car... , I wish for the lawn to look good.
Mowing and shooting all over the place is not for me, and not good for the lawn either.
Hondas...
Number one, but I tried one and it was terrible - problems with the bag...and the drive system was not very good.....the LB was much better.
And buying from a dealer (Kerrys) was much better...
Unfortunately, they are sold out of the 30" units..
Another solution to this problem is to make the lawn smaller, which I am doing....so I'll keep the LBs.
The other is a two-stroke, good for the "miles " of trimming around buildings and beds.

K

kandalawncare

Lets see where to start. I bought my timemaster and use it on the front line everyday, I think its a great affordable machine. I bought it from my local dealer and I wish I would have gotten it from a hd just for the one problem I had with my machine. One month after I bought my machine I noticed a gas leak from the muffler , I took it to the dealer I bought it from a certified toro dealer and it sat there for a week before they looked at it which I know isnt toros fault , but when they did fianlly look at it they advised that the carb needed to be rebuilt saying that I must have put something other than gas in because the carb gaskets pretty much dissolved. I only get my gas at speedway where I have my account. Then they advise its not covered under warrenty and hit me for 300 on top of the 1000 I paid for it. Wasnt happy at all , but other then that , the mower is great , havent had any issues or problems. Two thumbs up .

R

Rivets

I got an issue with your dealer, don't think he was looking out for Toro's or your best interest. Just wanted to line his pocket. $300 for a carb rebuild is totally out of line. I'll bet Toro was not even contacted about the problem and the dealer made that decision on his own. I would contact Toro directly and find another dealer.

K

kandalawncare

Yea , I def found another dealer . I also found my problem with my toro on other lawn care fourums and people were charged , when they contacted toro it was said that fuel related issues are not under warrenty , which I feel that is total bs . So to answer the issue to the 300 dollar charge , was I put it on a company credit card and disputed charges and didnt have to pay a dime , but it was aggravatting to deal with . So know I have a new dealer .

R

Rivets

I understand what you are saying. I deal with Toro a lot. Your old dealer dropped it on you, because he did not want to deal with it. We have dealers in our area that do the same thing and it gives all of us a bad rep. This problem is not covered under the Toro warranty. He should have contacted Briggs, as it is an engine problem and it he should have been working with them. All engine manufacturers are searching for a material that doesn't interact with all the different levels and types of achohol being used in fuel today. I have seen this problem caused by bad fuel and by carbs where the seat was not installed correctly. The one thing we advise all our customers is to use non ethynal fuel when ever possible. I know that it is not available in all areas of the country and you may have to do some searching, but it does help. Have even found that certain brands of fuel causes more problems than others. Can't say which, because we can't prove it, that's why recommend non ethynal when ever possible, no additives unless you have a specific problem, try to use within 30 days and drain at the end of the season.

K

kandalawncare

Rivets
Thanks for the reply , im new in the biz and every bit helps

mowersgalore

mowersgalore

The timemaster 30" is a timed blade walk behind mower build for LAWN not paddock grass
If u have 500 metres or more of Nice grass it is a great mower
this video http://http://www.mowersgalore.com.au/lawnmowers/toro-recycler-timemaster shows the kind of lawn
that this mower is suitable for
I have one at home and my girlfriend can you use it even in the tight conditions
please notice even tho it had just rained how good of a job it does mulching
bec mowing.png

E

earthworm

The timemaster 30" is a timed blade walk behind mower build for LAWN not paddock grass
If u have 500 metres or more of Nice grass it is a great mower
this video http://http://www.mowersgalore.com.au/lawnmowers/toro-recycler-timemaster shows the kind of lawn
that this mower is suitable for
I have one at home and my girlfriend can you use it even in the tight conditions
please notice even tho it had just rained how good of a job it does mulching
View attachment 13271

Ha!
I doubt that my grass and lawn are as good as paddock grass...
May I should be using a BillyGoat" or a billy goat.
Matching ones lawn to the equipment used is important...a good dealer will do this...usually....HD, Lowes, will not.
And to Rivets...there is not a product made on this earth that will not draw complaints...no matter how good..
Toro hears of no complaints as most people know better than to complain...Griping to Toro or Ford.....may as well cry and moan to that corner fence post !
That most people........

R

Rivets

earthworm, I don't know what your comment means, I have complained to Toro more often than the average mechanic. Most often I get results because they understand that I know what I am talking about. Believe it or not, I have complained to them about granting warranty on equipment that the customer should not have gotten a dime, because he is a complaining idiot, and buys and warranties his equipment through a big box store, but uses it commercially.

E

earthworm

earthworm, I don't know what your comment means, I have complained to Toro more often than the average mechanic. Most often I get results because they understand that I know what I am talking about. Believe it or not, I have complained to them about granting warranty on equipment that the customer should not have gotten a dime, because he is a complaining idiot, and buys and warranties his equipment through a big box store, but uses it commercially.

I was being judgmental, or maybe I was living in the past.
BUT
Once I had a big complaint against the Bank of America , they had what was my money in their "safekeeping" and took their sweet time about releasing it...it took, 3 to 6 months, as I recall...Mant letters - which were ignored...
Maybe Toro is better...which is good.
Its not good that people take unfair advantage of Toro, or anyone for that matter.
Have you seen the new Toro "super 30", with a Kawasaki engine ??? @ $1.8
And some other changes...I think its a commercial unit..

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

I was being judgmental, or maybe I was living i the past.
BUT
Once I had a big complaint against the Bank of America , they had what was my money in their "safekeeping" and took their sweet time about releasing it...it took, 3 to 6 months, as I recall...Mant letters - which were ignored...
Its not good that people take unfair advantage of Toro, or anyone for that matter.

Yes it is a commercial unit. It is called the Toro Turfmaster. Exmark makes an almost identical mower (also out this year) called the Exmark Commercial 30. You can see more info on them in the following thread: http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/mower...hiny-new-models-designs-coming-up-2013-a.html. :smile:

Ric

Ric

I was being judgmental, or maybe I was living in the past.
BUT

I own the Turf Master 30 with the FJ 180 Kawsaki KAI. Some of the differences between the Time Master and Turf Master are the additions of the Bull nose bumper, deck skid plates, 13 gauge deck and the one piece handle bar and 1 gallon fuel tank. The wheel height adjusters are heavier than the Time Master. I'm not sure and maybe Rivets can say or fill in the blade tip speed of the Time master, the Turf master is 18000 and even in wet grass I've never seen any clumping of grass and Imo it mulches better than the Honda twin blade and I've used both.

Attachments

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

I own the Turf Master 30 with the FJ 180 Kawsaki KAI. Some of the differences between the Time Master and Turf Master are the additions of the Bull nose bumper, deck skid plates, 13 gauge deck and the one piece handle bar and 1 gallon fuel tank. The wheel height adjusters are heavier than the Time Master. I'm not sure and maybe Rivets can say or fill in the blade tip speed of the Time master, the Turf master is 18000 and even in wet grass I've never seen any clumping of grass and Imo it mulches better than the Honda twin blade and I've used both.

It is definitely something I am thinking about buying, but I can't get past the price! But if I demo it and I really like it I will think about buying it, since it will save time.

Ric

Ric

The price does hurt it without a doubt, it and the Exmark 30" both at $1999 and the Time Master at $1049.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

The price does hurt it without a doubt, it and the Exmark 30" both at $1999 and the Time Master at $1049.

Yeah...just the Exmark Commercial 21's are $1200!! :shocked:

Ric

Ric

I have done some more research on this matter - the Toro 30" mower.
10% or so state that the 30" Timemaster is "junk"
Weak front wheels and brackets, cracked welds.
Leaky, malfunctioning carburetors.
A frail, too small transmission.
Too heavy, hard to maneuver
Lack of support from Toro, lack of spare parts
Definitely not for rough lawns, like mine
..................but.....................
90% love them, find nothing wrong !
Does Toro have quality control problems ?
I think we do need reform in the manner in which we do business !
Now on the 6th year, LawnBoy 10685...no problems...no complaints...unusual for me.
I am to understand that during this time, Toro was building the LawnBoys.

I think your percentages are wrong from what I've been seeing on some other forums, it's more like 40% think they're junk and 60% love the mower. Personally I think the individual using the mower has a lot to do with it. I can tell you from experience with the Turfmaster the more you use the mower the more you'll like the mower and you'll wonder why you stayed with any type of 21" as long as you did.
The biggest complaint I see that people have had with the Timemaster has been drive belt slippage for one reason or another and I have not encountered that on the Turfmaster.

R

Rivets

Sorry, no Internet for the last four days, I'm on the road in Florida, way to hot. If I remember right blade tip speed is approximately 18500 for the TimeMaster.

S

sc243899

So do I, due to the concept and the reviews.
But I'd like to see caster wheels in front...this is a heavy one...no two stroke.
The balance had better be nigh perfect, I probably spend as much time turning, as I do running in a straight line.

It works much better with caster wheels!!

Attachments

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

It works much better with caster wheels!!

Now that is cool and very helpful! Maybe you could tell us how you did that? :smile:

Ric

Ric

Now that is cool and very helpful! Maybe you could tell us how you did that? :smile:

That's easy :laughing: I'll bet those casters came off the Cub Cadet that's behind the Timemaster. Look at the rear wheels on the CC behind the TM and compare them to the caster wheels. He painted them red to match. I've got two Cubs with caster wheels and you can order those assembly's and they just bolt on. The problem he may encounter is the fact that they are made for a lighter mower than the Timemaster so how long they will last would be hard to tell.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

That's easy :laughing: I'll bet those casters came off the Cub Cadet that's behind the Timemaster. He painted them red to match. I've got two Cubs with caster wheels and you can order those assembly's and they just bolt on. The problem he may encounter is the fact that they are made for a lighter mower than the Timemaster so how long they will last would be hard to tell.

I bet you're right! :rolleyes:

E

earthworm

These casters appear to be "factory", but, the heigth adjustment looks to be a PITA.
Also, the caster angle is not very much..
Maybe caster wheels are not so great..
Only Ariens seems to use them in the push mowers.
Its something that one must use and try out, over some time.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Many brands have them including:

• John Deere john deere.jpg
  • Cub Cadet cub cadet 1.jpg cub cadet 2.png
  • Husqvarna husqvarna.jpg
  • Honda honda.jpg
  • MTD Pro mtd pro.jpg
  • Gravely gravely.jpg
  • Ariens ariens.jpg
  • Bad Boy bad boy.jpg
  • MORE!

Ric

Ric

These casters appear to be "factory", but, the heigth adjustment looks to be a PITA.
Also, the caster angle is not very much..
Maybe caster wheels are not so great..
Its something that one must use and try out, over some time.

Personally I like the castor wheels, I have the CC98H and the CC 999ES and I can tell you your right about the height adjustment being a PITA. Once those thing get dirty there absolutely the worst. IF he did take those off the Cub Cadet he may have problems with adjusting the height of the mower because the rear and front heights Probably won't match up. The other thing is the weight difference between the mowers, I don't know how long the bushing will last with twice the weight on them?

E

earthworm

I did not know this..
I do know that most of these come from the same manufacturer. In truth we may be down to 3 to 5 manufacturers of mowers, much like our cars.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

I do know that most of these come from the same manufacturer. In truth we may be down to 3 to 5 manufacturers of mowers, much like our cars.

It's true...:confused3:

Here are some I can think of:

Toro & Lawnboy

super recycler.jpg lawnboy new.jpg

MTD & a billion other brands::laughing:

mtd.jpg troybilt rider.jpg yard machines.png bolens.jpg

Husqvarna and McCulloch

articulating rider.png McCulloch Mower.jpg

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Thanx
Interesting reading at 2 am..