Time for a new mower

BIG-L

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ive got a Toro 20018 which is time to retire.Needs new tires,cable broke for the self propel unit towards the end of the year,then last was that it lost spark.Knowing it would be a few hundred bucks to replace parts im now looking at 2 different models with in a $450.00 price range and have a small yard.

Honda HRR216VKA or the New Lawn-Boy 10605 which is now using a Kohler motor.Since the Lawn-Boy is new with the Kohler,im sure there isn't much info out on them yet,but have heard great things about there engines.I also wonder if Toro is going to change from B&S to Kohler in the future :confused2:

Here is a link for Lawn-Boy

http://www.lawn-boy.com/wpmModels/10605.html

Which would be the best bang for my bucks !!

Thank You

Larry

Grass ala Mowed

Threads
The Honda is a nice mower. I actually went looking at this model but the Toro Super Recycler with the Kohler engine was right across the aisle and spoke to me. The Toro has that whole made in America thing which does matter to me and has a 5 year warranty and 5 years of free blade sharpening with the Toro Super Care Advantage.

How's this for an endorsement, if the Toro hadn't have been there to tempt me I'd be buying the Honda and been happy about it.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Welcome to the forum...
and like Grass ala Mowed said, either will be a fine mower most likely you will find very little actual difference ...
:smile:KennyV

BIG-L

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you !

Think im going to try out the Lawn-Boy.

Larry

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ive got a Toro 20018 which is time to retire.Needs new tires,cable broke for the self propel unit towards the end of the year,then last was that it lost spark.Knowing it would be a few hundred bucks to replace parts im now looking at 2 different models with in a $450.00 price range and have a small yard.

Honda HRR216VKA or the New Lawn-Boy 10605 which is now using a Kohler motor.Since the Lawn-Boy is new with the Kohler,im sure there isn't much info out on them yet,but have heard great things about there engines.I also wonder if Toro is going to change from B&S to Kohler in the future :confused2:

Larry

Either one of those mowers would do the job you want. I think if you check at Home Depot you can find the Honda for $399. As far as Toro changing to kohler I believe you'll find there Garden tractors are already running Kohler OHV Twin Cylinder on there GT 2200 and the LX models are running the Kohler Courage engines so I would think the others would soon follow.

BIG-L

Forum Newbie
Threads
Either one of those mowers would do the job you want. I think if you check at Home Depot you can find the Honda for $399. As far as Toro changing to kohler I believe you'll find there Garden tractors are already running Kohler OHV Twin Cylinder on there GT 2200 and the LX models are running the Kohler Courage engines so I would think the others would soon follow.

I'm a receiving manager at HD and the price went up on the Honda.Last year they were $399,this year $429 and the Lawn-Boy is $299,which seems like a great price now that they are using Kohler.

The Lawn-Boy 20 in. Kohler Gas Variable Speed Self-Propelled Mower features a timeout blade stop system, which allows the engine to run but stops the blade so operator can safely pick up obstacles or empty bag without restarting the mower. The 7 in. front and 8 in. rear wheels provide solid traction to maneuver around all types of terrain while the multi-notched blade cuts grass into fine clippings for a clean cut.

* 149 cc gas powered engine for reliable performance
* Variable speed self-propelled rear wheel drive provides a comfortable pace and excellent traction
* 20 in. wide cutting deck is ideal for trimming around obstacles
* 1 - 4 in. cutting height range provides a perfectly sculpted lawn
* Multi-notched blade cuts grass into fine clippings for a clean cut
* Deep dome deck designed for superior mulching and bagging performance
* 7 in. front and 8 in. rear wheels provide solid traction
* Timeout blade stop system allows the engine to run but stops the blade so operator can safely pick up obstacles or empty bag without restarting the mower
* Handle folds down for compact storage
* Kohler 6.5 gross torque overhead valve engine provides power and efficiency to cut through tough grass
* All Lawn-Boy mowers are backed by a 2-year product warranty and a 3 year power train warranty
* 3-n-1 ready mower - mulch and bag comes standard. Side discharge chute is free upon product registration
* MFG Brand Name : Lawn-Boy
* MFG Model # : 10605
* MFG Part # : 10605

Larry

abeja_reina_1989

Threads
Wouldn't it be nice if mowers never broke? That always drives me nuts! Anyway, I would personally go with the Honda, but I'm a bit biased because Honda is my go-to brand for anything. Honda is a long-lasting, high quality brand. I love 'em. Don't know enough about the other mower to make a fair comment though.

mois25

Threads
Honda is a brand I would recommend though I have to admit I do not know about the mowers. Perhaps before you settle for a choice, look around for possible price cuts.

Harriet

Threads
I buy as many products made by American companies as I can. Too many people in my family were or are military members for my conscience to allow me to do otherwise. Sorry Honda fans.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I buy as many products made by American companies as I can. Too many people in my family were or are military members for my conscience to allow me to do otherwise. Sorry Honda fans.

Hi Harriet...
I myself let quality guide my shopping... I was myself military and always have supported military, but on the consumer end you have to shop for quality, it is the only incentive to improve a product...
If average is being purchased there is not a lot of incentive to improve a product.

Import motors has done far more good in stepping up the quality of domestic goods than any one other thing... :smile:KennyV