Tillotson Q.

upupandaway

Threads
I just came across a Poulan 361. I rebuilt the carb and it purred like a cat, but I had to remove it and upon redoing the mix screws, I can't get it to run right again. Can someone tell me what the default mix settings are? I know last time I had a goofy setting 1.75H 3L.
It is like the game Jenga, it ran fine. As soon as I touch it, i ruined it. :-(

TIA.
iu

upupandaway

Threads
I looked at it and here is what I found: I replaced the fuel hose with a Tyvek hose and I see it is pulling fuel.
I opened the carb and looked for any dirt\double checked the passages to the mix screw and from screw to passage, neither are plugged.
My last test, I poured some gas\oil in and it started up and gradually ran faster(lean) leading up to dying. I tried your setting but went up to 2.75 turns for both mix screws, still no go. Why is is pulling in gas but not enough gas is going into the engine?!?!?!?. I wish I left it alone the first time when it ran(the oil pump is barely pumping any chain oil)... :-(

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When a 2 stroke dies rich it gets a soft deep exhaust note
When it dies lean it gets a sharp higher pitched exhaust note .
On the settings you were using either you have transposed the jets or it has obstructions in the L passageway
With that many turns on the L needle it will be running way too much on the L at full speed
If you do a lot of small 2 strokes consider buying a "Gunsons Color Tune" a cleaver little tool that allows you to see inside the cylinder during combustion so you can see the colour of the combustion flame
The oil in 2 stroke mixes makes them a bit funny but rich will always be a strong thick looking flame while lean will always be a translucent flame
Your problem could also be in the fuel tank , try it with the fuel cap loose

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
And is some additional info on tuning the 361.
1693071295434.png

upupandaway

Threads
When it dies lean it gets a sharp higher pitched exhaust note .

I know. That's what it is doing. after I spray some gas in the carb, It starts normal then gradually climbs in RPM then dies so it is running lean.
Thing is, I replaced the fuel line with a clear Tygon tube and I see it is pulling fuel into the carb.

I tried opening high and low up to 3 turns but still no go- I pour in more gas and it runs for a few seconds so it confirms the carb runs lean.
btw, the fuel cap has a hole in it- gas easily leaks out if I tilt it.

GRRR!!!!!!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Leave the fuel lines connected
slide the carb off turn it sideways
Blow air through it ( high volume low pressure is best ) from the filter side & note how much vapour blows out the engine side
Empty the fuel tank 1/2 way & try again
If it is substantially less then you have connected the fuel lines wrong
Also check that there is a good impulse feed into the fuel pump .
Very easy to get the gaskets backwards or partially block the impulse hole
Did you pressure test the carb after you rebuilt it ?

upupandaway

Threads
I think I am playing Whack-a-Mole or something. 2 days ago, I gave up left it after setting the mix screws to 2 and 2.25. I pulled it out yesterday without adjusting anything, and it started! high, idle ok. stopped and started the saw 4 times like clockwork.
I am thinking maybe adjusting and trying to start is is what I said. Letting it sit, maybe the excess fuel evaporated or something?!?!?!? Will try a few more times days apart and see if goes back to normal and runs like it did before removing the carb....

*UPDATE* I fired up the saw after work today and it is fine, so it apparently decided to go on a vacation for a few days but it is back again now.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You can get fuel condensed in the crankcase ( oil as well ) so leaving it for a few hours to vapour off and away it goes
When doing these types of engines I always let them sit after final adjustments overnight then try to start them in the morning many times before they go back

upupandaway

Threads
You can get fuel condensed in the crankcase ( oil as well ) so leaving it for a few hours to vapour off and away it goes
When doing these types of engines I always let them sit after final adjustments overnight then try to start them in the morning many times before they go back
Yeah, that's what I think happened even though every time it was running lean....
I have had this happen before when xyz just won't start. I put it away and use another trimmer, blower, etc and next time, the trouble machine starts fine.
As I posted, playing Whack-a-Mole, maybe some extra gas inside so i adjusted too lean, then too rich only to flood, etc, etc.
Like you said, maybe leaving the screws in the correct setting(although it is still open further than standard but it runs...), and some excess fuel evaporated over night in this case. So far 3 days in a row it runs so I'm good.