Tiller not starting

Amateurhr

Forum Newbie
I have a tecumseh oh195ea engine on a tiller I bought for dirt cheap. I expected to change some of the hardware. Changed the carb, spark plug, thought I would have had it started by now. Changed the ignition coil, finally checked the flywheel key and it isn't sheared. I'm at a loss. I put some gas in chamber and still won't fire. Any ideas? Check valve clearance next?
 
Alright Mark, adjusted lash to .004. Will put flywheel back on and give it a try. Couple of questions for you. Before disassembly I heard a honking noise coming from exhaust, is this normal? Also I've read that the light on an inline tester should be bright and blue where as mine was bright but yellow. Thanks for the help.
 
Fuel, Spark, Compression, and timing and it will run. You are missing one of these. Fuel, squirt some gas or starting fluid into the carburetor intake and see if it will fire. Spark, You needs a spark tester and you need a good 1/4 inch of spark and you also need to test spark under compression. Compression, you needs a compression gauge or a leak down test. Timing, as a rule it doesn't change unless the key is bad in the flywheel. I have had many jobs in my shop and this has always worked for me.
 
Alright flywheel back on valve cover back on. Left the fuel tank off and the blower housing and tested the compression it was below 30 pounds. So loss of compression is the culprit.
 
I put oil in the chamber and tried the compression and it was 40 psi. Removed the valves and found carbon buildup on the intake (larger) valve. The head gasket was not in the best shape. Could these easy fixes be the answer to my compression issue? Or is it likely the rings are toast?
 
Back
Top