throwing clups of grass

VUTEk_5300

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am having a problem with my mower throwing out clups of grass instead cutting it up. I have tried slowing down, adjusting my blade belt tension, even went as far as buying new blades. I get this problem when I am cutting less than an inch to two inches of grass off. I could be wrong but should'nt a commercial grade mower be able to handle that? Am I adjusting the blade tension in the the wrong manner or is it another belt I should be looking at? I am looking for all advise i can get on this afraid some of my clients are going to start complaining

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
If it were my mower I would check under the deck for obstructions that were causiing the grass to accumulate to a point were it bacame a large enough clump to discharge.
Is the undersode of the deck clean and free of old grass accumulation? Are there any bolt heads, nuts or rods protuding into this area that may facilitate the accumulation to a point where it rolls out?

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
It might make it easier for others to help if you give more details about your specific model and deck plus the kind of blades you are using. Soe particular decks do better with particular blades. I doubt it has much to do with belt or belt tension if the blades are not slipping. If you can get pictures of the bottom of your deck they might help too.

bakerg

Lawn Addict
Threads
Clupping can be caused by mowing wet grass or if mower deck needs cleaning.:confused2:

Slater

Threads
Knowing more details about your particular unit would be helpful. Are you using mulching blades, high lift blades, low lift? Do you have a mulching kit on? I don't think it has anything to do with your belts if they aren't slipping.

You are probably mowing thick wet grass and you are probably cutting too much at one time. Keep the RPM's up so your blades spin as fast as they can, and clean out the bottom of the deck real well like RB suggested. Every mower, commercial or not, can run into clumping problems for various reasons. I have had salesmen tell me that their deck design makes it so clumping is impossible no matter how thick or wet the grass is. I had them demo it for me and they all did the same thing because they were trying to cut too much grass at one time and it was wet.

All you can do is raise your deck height and cut off less, make sure your deck is cleaned well underneath with no obstructions, and then mow more often, or use a bagger. It has been so wet around here the last few weeks and will continue to be, that landscapers can't mow near as often and are trying to cut too much grass at one time.

Good luck :thumbsup: