Throttle question LB 10415

22R

Threads
Hi,

I got the old Gold Series 10415 to start and run but I am having trouble figuring out how the throttle works with this air vane. I am assuming that the flywheel air flow forces the vane towards idle and the cable pulls it back to open throttle ???? It will crank and run but only wide open I can't seem to idle it down. It has no idle stop screw like a briggs or Honda that I can see The small spring that wraps around the throttle shaft I am unsure if I hooked it up correctly as it was so cruddy when I took it apart I couldn't see how it was attached but it seems to only be able to hook through the loop in the throttle arm ???? It is a Walbro metal carb if anyone could snap a picture I would appreciate it. I have seen the breakdown drawings but they are not to clear. I was thinking that maybe it is only one speed but that makes no sense as it has a control cable. I just can't grasp on my own how the throttle design is supposed to work. It looks like when it is running if I force the vane closed with my finger looking down the carb bore it is still screaming good and not slowing down like an air leak maybe at carb or crank seals ??? Maybe a leakdown test is needed.

Thanks,

22R

turfboy1997

Threads
something is making the air vane stick such as gumming of the vane shaft. or the spring is way too tight. i think a good carb cleaning should help the problem. the air vane should move and retract easily with no restriction. Use B-12 to clean the carb it works wonders. a tip about the walbro is the seat sets up in the carb body so don't blow compressed air in the fuel line side unless you have your finger over the hole because you will blow the seat out and lose it. i have also had a couple of machines where the air vane rubs on the shroud causing restriction.

impalass

Threads
Hi,

I got the old Gold Series 10415 to start and run but I am having trouble figuring out how the throttle works with this air vane. I am assuming that the flywheel air flow forces the vane towards idle and the cable pulls it back to open throttle ???? It will crank and run but only wide open I can't seem to idle it down. It has no idle stop screw like a briggs or Honda that I can see The small spring that wraps around the throttle shaft I am unsure if I hooked it up correctly as it was so cruddy when I took it apart I couldn't see how it was attached but it seems to only be able to hook through the loop in the throttle arm ???? It is a Walbro metal carb if anyone could snap a picture I would appreciate it. I have seen the breakdown drawings but they are not to clear. I was thinking that maybe it is only one speed but that makes no sense as it has a control cable. I just can't grasp on my own how the throttle design is supposed to work. It looks like when it is running if I force the vane closed with my finger looking down the carb bore it is still screaming good and not slowing down like an air leak maybe at carb or crank seals ??? Maybe a leakdown test is needed.

Thanks,

22R

The spring is attached in two places one end to the throttle arm and the other end to the round collar.

oldboys

Threads
The spring is attached in two places one end to the throttle arm and the other end to the round collar.

Ive seen the hole for the throttle shaft become egg shaped. When the carb is off the mower, it works freely. As soon as you tighten screws, it pinches shaft. Theres no direct connection between throttle cable and throttle, only gov spring. If theres any binding, it renders throttle control useless.

oldboys

Threads
Ive seen the hole for the throttle shaft become egg shaped. When the carb is off the mower, it works freely. As soon as you tighten screws, it pinches shaft. Theres no direct connection between throttle cable and throttle, only gov spring. If theres any binding, it renders throttle control useless.

I have to apologize, I missed the part about walbro carb. What I said about egg shaped thottle shaft bores applies to plastic carbs. Throttle and gov setup is same though.

fire1hawk

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just picked up a Lawnboy 10415 Gold Series 1994 for $50 with the rear bagger. I just cleaned the carb got a new spark plug. Purchased a few maintence items like lawn boy fuel filter, air filter, gas cap gasket (original was cracked) and a new throttle spring. The thing looked bent and steched a bit. I am able to start it but it stalls a little after it starts think it might be a coil. Also I did blow air into the fuel line hole how do I know if I lost anything?

22R

Threads
Just picked up a Lawnboy 10415 Gold Series 1994 for $50 with the rear bagger. I just cleaned the carb got a new spark plug. Purchased a few maintence items like lawn boy fuel filter, air filter, gas cap gasket (original was cracked) and a new throttle spring. The thing looked bent and steched a bit. I am able to start it but it stalls a little after it starts think it might be a coil. Also I did blow air into the fuel line hole how do I know if I lost anything?

When it starts to stall choke it and see if it tries to keep running if so the problem is a clogged carb not electrical.

22R

fire1hawk

Forum Newbie
Threads
When it starts to stall choke it and see if it tries to keep running if so the problem is a clogged carb not electrical.

22R

Really!! That is exactly what is happening. I cleaned the S**T out of that carb. I will have to take another look and see if I missed something. I hope it was just that. I just posted a few pictures of the mower. Have to see how clean this thing is now.