throttle for towing

boston

Threads
What is a good throttle position for my craftsman tractor to be in while I'm towing? I regularly tow between 2 and 300 pounds up hills. I always use full throttle, as I do to mow, but some people say to use half throttle

Threads
What is a good throttle position for my craftsman tractor to be in while I'm towing? I regularly tow between 2 and 300 pounds up hills. I always use full throttle, as I do to mow, but some people say to use half throttle

I would say it depends how much you are hauling. :confused:

slammed

Threads

Run it at what ever it takes to move forward.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Manufacturers nearly always say full throttle and that seems to be important during hot weather. But what's hot and what's not. :confused2: Below say 80 degrees I find RPM not very important.

More importantly in cooler temperatures is whether we are lugging the engine. An accurate way to tell is if you are running at half throttle for instance and when you increase throttle the engine doesn't respond and increase in RPM then the engine is being lugged. The other sign of lugging is when at full throttle the engine looses RPM under load.

CZLawnCare

Threads
lawn mower fanatic said:
Yeah, I knew how much you were hauling, I meant you might want the throttle at a different position if you are hauling 2 pounds compared to 300 pounds.

He clearly means 200-300

possum

Threads
I read something from MTD a short time back that said on many lawn tractors the charging system may not work right unless the engine is full throttle. They want the engine running full throttle all the time. I run at about half when moving from garage to grass and back.

scott47429

Threads
i run all my stuff at full throttle thats what they recommend i think