Three questions about Raptor SD's

AJ961

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi everyone. I'm new here and planning to purchase a Raptor SD soon since my current lawn mower is old and constantly has problems.

I'm cutting about 2.5 acres and trying to decide on the 54" or 60" Raptor SD's. Some of my yard is somewhat bumpy and I'm thinking the 60" will make up the difference of total cutting time for lack of speed in those areas.

Second question is how easy is it to perform maintenance? Is the deck belt easy to change? Will the floor (area where feet are placed) raise up? I didn't think about looking at that when I saw it at Lowe's. Is the oil and filter easily accessible?

Third question is are the steering handles adjustable? Can they be adjusted to raise and lower?

Really appreciate any answers and advice.

AJ

Micah Haarhoff

Threads
I know the deck belts are fairly easy to change the oilfilter and air filter should be as well not sure about the handles though.

turboawd

Threads
have you looked at huster's website? look under specs and this is what it shows for productivity.
not too much difference between 54 and 60
VrVUC2S.jpg1

maintenance is easy. the floor is bolted down. my deck belt came off once when i tried starting the blades with the deck burried in deep grass. i was able to easily put the belt back on without removing the floor plate.

the handles do adjust fore and aft, but i dont think they adjust up and down.

also, the 54 doesnt come with the engine guard, so ask your dealer to order if you want it. cost around 80.

AJ961

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for posting the specs Turbo. The 54" would work fine for my needs. Really appreciate the help everyone!

AJ

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hi everyone. I'm new here and planning to purchase a Raptor SD soon since my current lawn mower is old and constantly has problems.

I'm cutting about 2.5 acres and trying to decide on the 54" or 60" Raptor SD's. Some of my yard is somewhat bumpy and I'm thinking the 60" will make up the difference of total cutting time for lack of speed in those areas.

Second question is how easy is it to perform maintenance? Is the deck belt easy to change? Will the floor (area where feet are placed) raise up? I didn't think about looking at that when I saw it at Lowe's. Is the oil and filter easily accessible?

Third question is are the steering handles adjustable? Can they be adjusted to raise and lower?

Really appreciate any answers and advice.

AJ

The 54 would be your best option imo because it will have the best BTS and give you the best cut. Maintenance should be simple enough, the oil filter and oil change easy enough on the two Kawasaki engines that I run and the FR isn't any different that I know of.

The floor (area where feet are placed) doesn't raise or flip up like there commercial models do so easy access to changing the belts isn't there like the commercials. Changing the belts isn't that difficult anyway.

As far as the lap bars go there adjustable to be raised or lowered to suit your comfort range. Two bolts in each handle can be removed to adjust their height. The only fore and aft adjustment would be moving the seat forward or back to adjust your mowing position. The SD comes with the 2800 drives which are the top of the line residential offerings so they should never give you any problems and do everything you'll ever want for your 2.5 acres.

The guard does come standard on the 60" and it is available for the 48 and 54" As far as the engine guard goes and this is just my opinion but I wouldn't waste the money because it's just something else to get in the way and it's just added weight and serves no purpose other than looks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=P_LvO0hA_TY

Last edited:

kraky

Threads
Just adding...the seat on the 60" is much nicer looking...more value in the bigger cut, nicer seat, free engine guard.?

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just adding...the seat on the 60" is much nicer looking...more value in the bigger cut, nicer seat, free engine guard.?

I don't see anymore value in the 60" over the 54". The productivity rate difference in a 6" larger deck or between the two machines is near nothing and besides that the engine guard isn't free when you consider the $500 price difference between the two machines.

kraky

Threads
The op says he's got a rough lawn and sees some value in slowing down but getting more done w/the wider deck. The nicer seat plays into his comfort on the rough lawn too. $500 to get a nicer machine over 10 yrs of ownership comes to $50/yr. It doesn't matter whether we think its a good deal....its the op's money on the line.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
The op says he's got a rough lawn and sees some value in slowing down but getting more done w/the wider deck. The nicer seat plays into his comfort on the rough lawn too. $500 to get a nicer machine over 10 yrs of ownership comes to $50/yr. It doesn't matter whether we think its a good deal....its the op's money on the line.

The machines are the same machine. The differences being the 60" runs a 24hp Kawasaki vs the 54" running a 23hp Kawasaki and both are the FR. The seats are the same except for the Fabric, the 48", 54" are Molded vinyl, adjust., susp. springs, and armrests The 60" is Premium bolstered, adjust., susp. springs, and armrests. Your right though It doesn't matter whether we think its a good deal and its the op's money on the line, I just figure why pay for something like a guard that serves no purpose.