There must be a way!!!!

topconker

Threads
To re fit the keepers on a Kohler K141 motor.
I've just spent 3 hours of my life treying to get the damn things back in even using a valve lifter. Please someone tell me there must be a way!
TC, (down, but not beaten,,,,yet)!

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've never worked on an OHV Kohler, so keep that in mind.

There'll be more than one way to do this. Here's one:

Take the spark plug out. Turn the crankshaft to lower the piston in the cylinder. Make sure it's the BDC in which the intake valve has just closed. Insert some small rope through the spark plug hole and turn the crankshaft until it stops.

Turn the crankshaft until it stops. This is to keep the valves closed. Put a small amount of grease on the side of the keepers which contacts the valve stem. They make a tool for this but if you have a welder, find a flat washer with a big enough hole to clear the keepers when they're installed and weld a short piece of steel rod to the washer.

Put the valve spring and retainer in place. Grip the tool with pliers and compress the retainer and spring. Put the keepers in place and slowly release pressure on the spring. Make sure the keepers stayed in place.

Repeat for the other valve.

Don't forget to take out the rope.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
cpurvis, this is an L-head engine.

If you have a small engine valve spring compressor it is very easy. If you don’t, go borrow one from your local repair shop or some auto guys have them also. I’m assuming you are having trouble getting the small tapered keepers in the slots. You will need these, the compressor, small screwdriver, grease and a little patience. First using the compressor, compress the valve, valve spring and retaining washer as tight as possible. Second, take one keeper and put a dab of grease on the inside and outside. Third, stick the outside of the keeper to the screwdriver, with the taper up. Fourth, patience required, move the keeper into the slot on the valve and slide the screwdriver off. The grease on the inside of the keeper will keep it there. Once it is in the valve, repeat on the second keeper. Fifth, slowly release the pressure on the spring compressor and repeat on the other valve. Once you understand how it is done, takes less than a minute per valve.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Same as Rivets but I use tweezers to install the keepers rather than a screwdriver with a dab of grease.
Bent end ones to place the keepers in position and a reverse set ( sprung closed ) to keep the keeper 1/2's together while the pressure is let off the spring

topconker

Threads
Been trying tonight but still no success. I've tried tweezers, small screwdrivers, magnets, grease but still the little devils are laughing at me. I've walked away now for the night. I've ordered a small engine valve lifter on e-bay today that will be here in a few days so hopefully that may help. The valve lifter \i have is probably too big.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I assumed the head(s) were still on the engine. They weren't?

topconker

Threads
Hi "C", yes should have stated the head was removed. Now I have the correct valve lifter the job is relatively straightforward.
Cheers,
TC