The saga of the Green TORO

fabricgator

Threads
Hello enthusiasts,

Today, I received a brand new Techumseh carburetor for the green TORO (lawnBoy). After I broke up with Becky, and took my mower with me... she proudly bought a LawnBoy from Lowes as she remembered me always saying they were the best.

She bought a Green TORO.

A few weeks ago, she mentioned how that thing doesn't run, hasn't run and she was going to push it out to the curb on Monday morning.
I was there to accept.

Fresh gasoline and a precursory cleaning inspection of the carburetor. Had oil. A few pulls later and she kicked and even had a short prime run once or twice. I had noted that the primer bulb had a split and figured it was sucking air, thus the no run.

I priced carb kit and primer, but then found what was claimed to be a genuine techmseh carb on ebay for $16 delivered. I can;t buy parts for that money so I gave it a try. It just arrived and it appears to be the real deal. The first thing I did was take it apart to find out what kind of import clone junk this is, and I can not tell the difference between it and the original import junk the mower originally came with. I think I may buy another for the next tank of E10 gasoline.

Fuel leak!
Upon inspection, the fuel tank has several cracks, plastic import junk crap.... sorry, I used to work offshore with a bunch of roustabouts.
It turns out that Techumseh had a recall on the tank. There was a replacement program and the last I heard of it being active was October 2015 when someone sent an email to tankshiper@gamil.com and a few days later one showed up in the mail (yes, I know that is not how I would spell shipper, but that is the address)

I wrote to that address and received an immediate auto reply that said my tank was in the mail! If they had any additional questions, that they would contact me...
That was over the last weekend... I am curious to see if I really get one in the mail. They are selling used on eBay for thirty, I'd much rather have one of the E10 upgrade's for free.

Have a great weekend everyone!
Regards,

fabricgator

Threads
So, real nice carburetor purchase, she fired right up and I was able to cut a section of the lawn with just a minimal amount of fuel to keep the level down below the petrol tank cracks. It actually ran real good until I tried to take it off road and into some really high grass.

She sure didn't have much power though.

So I had it warmed up and I did another oil change now that the sediment in the crankcase had been agitated into suspension... Wait a minute... the lift on the blade is pointed down?? What? The cutting edge of the blade is still like new but not polished... Oh my oh my... No wonder.

Shame on me, ugh.. I just whacked my poor lawn with the back side of the blade that had been installed (upside down) years ago by the know not at Lowes or Toro.... maybe Becky did it or had her neighbor help her out one day.

The only saving grace is, well, I bet it'll cut great now seeing as it now has a never been used cutting edge. It is going to be like running a new blade! And fresh oil too!
I only hope an early Christmas gift of a new upgraded fuel tank and I can find the proper bag and mulch adapter at her house.

Remember, nothing is foolproof for a talented fool............:laughing:

fabricgator

Threads
LawnBoy 10685 manual request

Can anyone direct me to an owners manual or service manual for the LawnBoy 10685? Please...

fabricgator

Threads
Re: LawnBoy 10685 manual request

Can anyone direct me to an owners manual or service manual for the LawnBoy 10685? Please...

Found it on GOOGLE

I don't believe it, I just got a brand new updated E-10 compatible fuel tank in the mail. Installed it, fueled her. Flipped the blade over, lubricated all the handles and cables and then I went and cut the rest of the lawn.

I now respect the Green TORO as some kind of a 4-stroke breed of the LawnBoy I grew up with. It is not a bad machine at all. I like it and am proud to add it to the fleet!