The frozen whelk thread

jpokerwinski

Threads
I hope someone could give me some insight or knowledge on how to get a frozen rear wheel off a garden tractor. Specifically it is a. Old MTD .
I have tried everything from PB Blaster to heat to pounding it. Nothing no budge.
My next try would be to get an air chisel to the back of it. But I wanted to see if anybody had any other ideas?
Jim

johniii

Threads
Are you hitting it from behind the wheel? You may need a bigger hammer?

johniii

Threads
Does it have just one nut on the wheel? You need a 5 pound mini sledgehammer, something bigger than 2 pounds. Hit the wheel dead on without a pipe. Spin the wheel and hit again.

jpokerwinski

Threads
Does it have just one nut on the wheel? You need a 5 pound mini sledgehammer, something bigger than 2 pounds. Hit the wheel dead on without a pipe. Spin the wheel and hit again.
The wheel has the attached type hub. One bolt and a washer hold the wheel on. Your saying to hit the wheel with a 5 pound in the front?

Attachments

• IMG_5444.jpeg
    IMG_5444.jpeg
    369.2 KB · Views: 72

jpokerwinski

Threads
Also most places around here sell 4 pound sledge. Harbour freight has a 5 pound dead blow but it has a soft face

johniii

Threads
Also most places around here sell 4 pound sledge. Harbour freight has a 5 pound dead blow but it has a soft face
Hit it from the back it doesn't have to be 5 pounds, it's what I would use. Maybe try wally world or a hardware store. Pass on the dead blow, H.F. has 4 pound mini sledgehammer I believe.

jpokerwinski

Threads
Hit it from the back it doesn't have to be 5 pounds, it's what I would use. Maybe try wally world or a hardware store. Pass on the dead blow, H.F. has 4 pound mini sledgehammer I believe.
I used to have a 5 pound but it flew off the handle and damn near killed my wife😂😂😂😂

jpokerwinski

Threads
I am not sure I can get a good hit in the back without some sort of pipe?