the dealer says check oil with dip stick screwed in ?

No problem. Makes you wonder don't it. I'd go back and ask them to read the dipstick, lol.

Hopefully you'll have little ongoing need for your dealer. There don't seem to be a lot of issues with those machines. Good luck!
 
That Dealer needs to learn more about what he is selling. :thumbdown: My Kawasaki FRX651 is same. NO screw in, like it was pointed out, READ the printing on the actual dipstick.
 
I have to admit that I never saw that printed on the dipstick before. But I don't put my glasses on to check my oil and even with them on I had a hard time reading it in my garage. It doesn't exactly jump out at me.

And to the OP, some of the things I said were for others who may happen upon the thread and to cover my behind, such as best to read the manual. I know you said you couldn't find it in yours.
 
I bought my Scag at Sadlers Marine in Jacksonville, Texas. I went to buy a Scag at Outdoor Power, Tyler Texas at 11:30 Friday but I think all the salesmen were at lunch. Sadlers Marine was 8450.00 where Outdoor Power was 8599.00
 
I bought a quart of 10-40 Kawasaki oil and added 12 oz. to fill it up. My mower is running great and I will take care of it myself.DSC01141.jpg
 
Yeah, that's a fair amount.

Some nice features on the new Kawi engines are the oil drain hose and the port to blow the cooling fins off without taking the shroud off. That's the cover with the Kawisaki 691V decal on it. One bolt and you can inspect for rodent nests and blow off the fins with compressed air. I'm sure it's still a good idea to pull the shroud for a thorough cleaning now and then but I like it!
 
Yeah, that's a fair amount.

Some nice features on the new Kawi engines are the oil drain hose and the port to blow the cooling fins off without taking the shroud off. That's the cover with the Kawisaki 691V decal on it. One bolt and you can inspect for rodent nests and blow off the fins with compressed air. I'm sure it's still a good idea to pull the shroud for a thorough cleaning now and then but I like it!
..... I mowed 2 hours today and it did not use a drop of oil.
 
When I buy oil I always check on the back of the bottle for the date code, it will tell when the oil was bottled. If it is older than 5 years I won't buy it.

Because even factory sealed, the additives do break down.

And I agree 12 oz down is a lot on a 2 qt w/filter fill up engine.
 
There isn't much margin for error on the oil level of these small engines. I'm glad you spotted and resolved the issue. As long as it was on the stick no damage done.

Maybe they're just trying to save on oil. You know if they short everyone 1/3 of a quart that adds up at the end of the year and increases the revenue from the repair side of things too, lol.
 
well it looks like Darrly came to the rescue, thank goodness it doesn't have a harley engine on it, or you would be adding a quart everytime you mowed the lawn
 
Back
Top