The Daily Yardman Thread

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: Daytona 500 Question

Skipper,
I am no expert and am going to offer my recollections of what I have heard.
The restrictor plate is gonna be replaced by a similar device that has a tapered spacer as opposed to the straight bores currently in use.
I do not know if the new spacer will have tapered holes or just one large tapered area.
The HP is going to be reduced from 750 to 550. and, here I had been thinking that racing was intended to further automotive development...HA !

If you wanna see REAL development, watch Formula E

Car bodies resemble their retail counterparts in appearance and trim only.
The bodies must fit a strict shape as determined by NASCAR templates.

I am of the understanding that the engines must be built with parts provided by the manufacturer represented by the vehicle body.

Mopar lost its affiliation with Penske in 2013 due to bureaucratic maneuvering by the manufacturer. Penske got a better deal from Ford.
Chrysler was not able to entice any other teams, so its presence was eliminated.
There is talk that Chrysler, as well as Nissan, may be back in 2020.

As usual, I have told you more than I know............

Ron,

In any event you have told me more than I knew and I appreciate it. It is not something I follow on a regular basis and I had fallen behind the times..

Thanks for the update.

Rog

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
That's something I need badly right now. I haven't had enough snow in my area to warrant running my full plowing route yet this winter. And of course I spent thousands gearing up for what I thought would be a snowy winter...all dressed up and nowhere to go.

Move to Maine! We are rarely ever disappointed by a lack of snow.. LOL

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: More engine building education

My education continues......

In the old days, you put an engine together and start it up.
Not no more..........
Nowadays, you gotta pre oik the lubrication system by using a tool to spin the oil pump and circulate the oil.
Numerous tools out there to do the job, and they all work the same.

Right???????

Well, not exactly.

Here is the tool which I purchased:

View attachment 42902View attachment 42903

Notice how the flanges of the spool section are farther apart than those on the distributor?
Bad,BAd,BAD !!

These flanges are intended to allow pressure to build in the lifter oil galley.
The top flange does not seat in the distributor's bore, allowing oil to surge up thru that area, preventing pressure from building up.
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Of COURSE, the manufacturer sells "1000's" of these, but I am the ONLY one to have this problem!
WHAT A SURPRISE !!

Here's one that is correctly designed:

View attachment 42904

See how the spool more closely mimics the same area of the distributor??

WHY DOES THIS KEEP HAPPENING TO ME ??

I feel like John McLane.....................

Education can be a bitter pill!

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: More engine building education

OR, I can buy the proper tool..............
Jus' like YOU,Boo.... a PROPER TOOL !!!

There's that sly humor poking out from under the edges again... I love it!

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: C10 Stuff

The current hold up on the C10 is actually not automotive in nature.

Kind of a domino effect...

Since enclosing the pole barn into the "Lower Shop. I have planned on building
a 16'x22' deck across the back half.
Gonna have 4' clearance so I can still store lots of stuff (including riding mowers) underneath.
This will not essentially reduce floor space in the lower shop (actually increase it.....)

This will be the floor of the den/home theater room.
Lumber is there, now I am amassing hardware for the build.
Once constructed, the wall will be opened to the "Upper Shop" so that I can transfer
all the stuff which is clogging the space there.

After that is accomplished, I will have the room to repower the Chevy.
I pretty much have all the parts I need to proceed; good thing, cuz Mamma gonna cut off the finances...........
Between C10,construction,taxes/insurance and injured dog, we been talkin' to our $$$$$$$$

We been sayin' "BYE !"

Advice: Shoot the dog and call GEICO - save 15%..

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
UHhhYUP.. we in the process of unloading a lot of "STUFF" we've collected over the years, we don't stop at every yard sale, a LOT fewer trips to the flea-markets and just quit buying things we really can "live-without", wind-up giving a lot to thrift-stores and Goodwill, guess we are at that point in life where ya look around the house and wonder.. what the hell do I need (want) with this ?? losing the sentimentality streak as we get older and older..... :rolleyes:..:confused3:

**** 477 ****

Boo!!

You aren't going to flea markets anymore!?!?!?! Does that mean I'll never see you again?? Going to the flea market has become our yearly get-together.. I am broken heart-ed..

Rog

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
" How many of U guys done the same dam stupid thing, get rid of something, THEN wind up wishin ya hadn"t ..??? ...."

Waving my hand in the air yelling Me me me. I need a tool, can't find it so buy another and several days later guess what I find it. I KNOW I have two hand held impact drivers and THINK there might be a third one hiding out in my shop. Curse of being a guy I think.

Tom

Tom,

The old 'saw': "A place for all things and all things in their place" - - comes to mind...

Jus sayin'...

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
For the most part I was a HAPPY functional drinker, no further comment ........ :rolleyes:

Haven't had a "drink" of any alcohol since July "98" ....

**** 477+ ****

You keep at it and someday you'll catch up! I gave up drinking New Years Day 1970!!! (Was arrested by the Shore Patrol for "Creating an International Incident" on New Years Eve.. (I certainly never did anything of the sort! - I don't think!!)

Rog