The Daily Yardman Thread

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
JB Weld

Booba,

JB Weld makes smaller quantity stick epoxies, including their "Steel Stick".. Sets in 5 minutes, cures in one-hour. I should be able to use a bushing wrapped in plastic wrap to form the paste into the worn place in the housing. Apply paste, insert protected bushing, quickly assemble, tighten a few bolts, let set a few minutes, loosen bolts, remove bushing, finish grind as needed... Done!

Sounds like the answer to me!

Roger

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Time setting

BlazNT,

Thanks, it's done..

Roger

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Re: MTD Yardman Transaxle Rebuild

Fantastic. I just did not want you to destroy more than was already broken.:smile:

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

BlazNT - Chuck,

Me thinks we have had a miscommunication... When I said, "Thanks, it's done." - I was referring to changing my time zone as you instructed. . . . . However, I suspect you thought I meant I had repaired the worn part in the transaxle case.. At this point, I have not, however, I have decided on a course of action that I believe will effect a workable repair. I do appreciate your input and I will insure that worn area is filled in and solid before reassembling the case. Presently I am waiting for parts (bushings and grease seals), but plan on working on the repair while I wait.
.........................................................................................

For those of you who have been following the GREASE portion of this thread, I have discovered that my local John Deere dealer does carry John Deer Corn Head Grease. The parts man there told me he only sells about two tubes a year, but that they get it in 30 tube cases, so he has plenty to sell. Their Corn Head Grease is rated as an EP-0 (or NLGI-0) grease and should work fine in that type of transaxle at a fraction of the cost.

Roger

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads

Yes I did not read the header.

So glade you got the time thing fixed and good luck with the repair.

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
"STEEL STICK" epoxy repair

Chuck et. al.,

Today I picked up some JB Weld "Steel Stick", a two part epoxy in a single stick that only requires to be kneaded by hand to mix properly. I cleaned the damaged area of the transaxle case, and wiped it with acetone, cut off a little of the epoxy stick and kneaded it to a uniform dark color. A small amount was applied to the damaged area and a bushing wrapped in plastic food wrap was pressed into it. By moving the bushing forward and back in the damaged area I was able to press the epoxy fully into the void where the axle had worn the aluminum away. I think the rough grinding the welder did, will help the epoxy stick. Then I inserted the 3/4" axle shaft through both the grease seal and the bushing and assembled the upper half of the casing to the lower half using two bolts to tighten it. As this epoxy sets up in five minutes I had to work quite quickly. When I released the bolts the epoxy has assumed the exact shape of all three pieces and I was able to carefully trim away any excess that came out around the shaft, leaving a perfect shoulder like what was originally there before the old bushing wore out and the axle wore the shoulder off. (Note previous pictures.)

Here is what the repair looks like:

Roger

Attachments

• DSCN1746_715.jpg
    DSCN1746_715.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCN1749_717.jpg
    DSCN1749_717.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 41

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads

That looks very nice. Just like I was thinking. You did a wonderful job.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

Looks like a "go for it" to me Roger, hope it works out .... if at first you don't succeed ... it's time to buy a boat, or a toaster or something ...( LOL ) ..:laughing: ..:laughing: ..:laughing:

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

BOO-Baby,

Already got a boat! Can we post them on here without getting chastised?

Roger

Attachments

• DSCN0419_176.jpg
    DSCN0419_176.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCN0311_154.jpg
    DSCN0311_154.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 21

Pumper54

Threads

Roger,
Nice work on the repair. I didn't know you all had palm trees in Maine, things you learn everyday. ;-)

Tom