Threads
Re: MTD Yardman Transaxle Rebuild

Views: 159,254

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

GOOD MORNIN Gang !! ..........BB.jpg

I'd like to wish EVERYBODY on the forums a VERY Merry Christmas !

Let's keep it safe, and have a great time with our friend's and families.

CARD.PNG

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Windows

NO WINDOWS !! And I didn't mean Micro-Soft either !! I wanna see what's outside, N where we goin !! ..:confused2:..:laughing:

Some of the boats with "North Atlantic" sails (conning towers) had 'windows' on the Nav Level, which was a deck inside the sail that was open to the sea - (free flooding) - which was obvious, because when you were standing on it there was a huge opening above you with a ladder that was used to get to the upper part of the sail were men stood their watch when we were underway on the surface.

We were having 'visiting ship' one day when civilians were allowed to come aboard and tour the boat. We would station sailors throughout the boat to answer any questions they might have and several of us were on the Nav Level when a woman came up out of the conn and in seeing the windows she asked, "Is this where you look out when you are underwater?" We just looked at her blankly and then a couple of the guys looked upward towards the open sky, she didn't get the hint and finally one of us just said, "Nope" and let it go at that.

Here is a picture of the USS Sailfish SS-572 in which you can plainly see these windows. She was the last boat I served aboard and the picture was taken when we pulled into Pearl Harbor, Hawaii after leaving New London, CT, steaming through the Panama Canal, crossing the Pacific and arriving at our new home port. She was a huge boat at 350-feet in length and was fairly new, having been launched in 1955. She was one of only two boats in her class, the other being the Salmon SS-573, both were originally used as radar picket boats for the Regulus missile system until that system was replaced by missiles with improved guidance systems. She was then redesigned and reclassified as an "Attack Submarine".

I'm on deck somewhere in this picture, but I'm not sure which one I am. The giant lei hanging over the front of the sail was made out of GDU bags. (GDU - Garbage Disposal Unit) - Hey we had to do something to pass the time while crossing the Pacific, right?

After a short time in our new home port, we were deployed on a seven month WESPAC (Western Pacific) cruise that included several 'very exciting' patrols, one of which I blame my current state of baldness on. The deployment was supposed to only be five months, but we had the misfortune of blowing up number one engine. (A 1,600 HP, 12 cylinder, opposed piston, Fairbanks Morse) breaking both the upper and lower crankshafts as well as destroying both pistons and the associated cylinder. We had to pull into Yokosuka, Japan (into the very ship yard where Japan built their WWII battleships) and have the engine replaced, That took two additional months. I can still swear, locate a bathroom and tell a woman that I am in love with her in Japanese. Plus I still love rice..

Roger

Attachments

• Sailfish pulls into Hawaii.jpg
    Sailfish pulls into Hawaii.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 7

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

Well one thing for sure, they wont be hanging over the sides painting like their mates on a destroyer or carrier. :confused2:

Bert-Man,

When the Seaman gang had to scrape marine growth off our tank-tops, we would either flood a little water into the tanks on one side, or vent a little air off the other side in order to tip the boat sideways and expose the weeds. Then the guys could climb on a "camel" (several large square logs wired together like a raft) and scrape away..

Rog

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

And on the subject of subs ,
Roger might find this interesting.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-12-21/hmas-ae1-submarine-found-after-century-long-search/9278782

AE 1 was our first sub, went missing all hands on board.
As an aside the various teams looking for the AE1 found a lot of downed aircraft.
there was a docco on the search about 10 years ago and apparently they had found so many US aircraft the US had been making large financial contributions to the search costs.

Bert, I have been following the location of AE1.

We have a group here in the US who are dedicated to locating every submarine we have ever lost. They recently located S-28, an old "Sugar" boat (Sugar from the single "S" designator) which was pressed back into service for WWII and was lost while on a training mission off Hawaii. https://www.stripes.com/sunken-world-war-ii-submarine-s-28-located-off-coast-of-oahu-1.502542

Roger

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
This is my 999th post!

My very next post will be my 1000th! But I am saving it for something special, although I don't know what just yet. Joining the 1000 post club is almost as exciting as getting gold stars, but not quite.. I shall have to give my next posting due consideration.

I suspect that I am guilty of making more off subject comments on this website than perhaps anyone else. Back in the early days, poor Boo-Boo would try to bring me back into the fold and keep my comments on the straight and narrow, but alas, I have continued to wander and now I fear he too has lost his way. The same holds true for Bert-Man, who was once dedicated to bringing aid and assistance to backyard mechanics in need of help on a number of subjects, from the viscosity of various lubricating products, to the proper gasket material for sealing up components. Now he too is prone to espousing on subjects far afield from small engine repair.

I could apologize to those in Admin for causing such disruption among the troops, but this thread has coalesced a number of interesting members into a discussion group which has proven to be not only interesting, but informative as well. For that reason I feel a fair degree of pride in it as well as a sense of accomplishment in the friendships that have formed.. Long may the thread flourish!

But now I must think on my 1,000th post... I may not be back for days!

Roger

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: This is my 999th post!

My very next post will be my 1000th! But I am saving it for something special, although I don't know what just yet. Joining the 1000 post club is almost as exciting as getting gold stars, but not quite.. I shall have to give my next posting due consideration.

I suspect that I am guilty of making more off subject comments on this website than perhaps anyone else. Back in the early days, poor Boo-Boo would try to bring me back into the fold and keep my comments on the straight and narrow, but alas, I have continued to wander and now I fear he too has lost his way. The same holds true for Bert-Man, who was once dedicated to bringing aid and assistance to backyard mechanics in need of help on a number of subjects, from the viscosity of various lubricating products, to the proper gasket material for sealing up components. Now he too is prone to espousing on subjects far afield from small engine repair.

I could apologize to those in Admin for causing such disruption among the troops, but this thread has coalesced a number of interesting members into a discussion group which has proven to be not only interesting, but informative as well. For that reason I feel a fair degree of pride in it as well as a sense of accomplishment in the friendships that have formed.. Long may the thread flourish!

But now I must think on my 1,000th post... I may not be back for days!

Roger
:laughing:

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads

Going to be a busy day here on the ranch.............so if I don't get back here soon enough.....Merry Christmas Everyone

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads

Merry Christmas, Bert and to all y'all in Australia and New Zealand!
Y'all in the States gotta wait til tomorrow......:wink:

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

Merry Christmas, Bert and to all y'all in Australia and New Zealand!
Y'all in the States gotta wait til tomorrow......:wink:

I wait NOT, for any man, He who hesitates is lost !! ( sign in a brothel) ..:laughing:..:laughing: