The Daily Yardman Thread

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: MTD Yardman Transaxle Rebuild

finished working on the car.
tune up, weld exhaust pipe, replace tank and pump, repair vacuum line under dash, repair power door locks, repair glove box spring assist and replace right rear air ride valve......then spent some time on the tractor.

work on the tractor is slow but progressing.
View attachment 34599
View attachment 34600

Doc,

Is the radiator an open bottomed affair that bolts on to that front end of the casting? That's weird, isn't it? I bet you can't order a replacement for that from 'RockAuto'...

Rog

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
View Guesstimate

We are still on track to break 115,000 views by midnight Oct. 31.

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
New project

Since buying a Harbor Freight Sand Blasting Cabinet and connecting it directly to my old dust collector, I have decided that running the blasting media directly through the dust collector fan is more than likely not a good idea. So I am going to build a cyclone style dust collector. I have a dust collector in my shop for sawdust and wood chips from the various wood working machines that I have, but the collector fan is mounted outside the shop in the garage overhead. Because the blast cabinet is also in the garage I piped it directly into the dust collector. Now I'm having second thoughts. Because the blasting media is very fine, I think a cyclone style (like the "Dust Deputy") will work better than the Thien-style that I built. I'm going to make one from a road cone. I've watched several UTube videos of guys making them from road cones, so that's the plan.

I have to go to the clinic this morning for blood work and I have a feeling that I may "find" a road cone on that trip. Wish me luck!

Roger

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads

Doc,

Is the radiator an open bottomed affair that bolts on to that front end of the casting? That's weird, isn't it? I bet you can't order a replacement for that from 'RockAuto'...

Rog
They are available new, but require some fit finish on the flange, and sometimes the upper pipe is slightly short.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/co/671fp.htm

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: New project

Since buying a Harbor Freight Sand Blasting Cabinet and connecting it directly to my old dust collector, I have decided that running the blasting media directly through the dust collector fan is more than likely not a good idea. So I am going to build a cyclone style dust collector. I have a dust collector in my shop for sawdust and wood chips from the various wood working machines that I have, but the collector fan is mounted outside the shop in the garage overhead. Because the blast cabinet is also in the garage I piped it directly into the dust collector. Now I'm having second thoughts. Because the blasting media is very fine, I think a cyclone style (like the "Dust Deputy") will work better than the Thien-style that I built. I'm going to make one from a road cone. I've watched several UTube videos of guys making them from road cones, so that's the plan.

I have to go to the clinic this morning for blood work and I have a feeling that I may "find" a road cone on that trip. Wish me luck!

Roger
always wanted a blast cabinet, but I will settle for a blast can and a spot behind the garage...everything I want to blast wont fit in a cabinet....:laughing:

Good luck on the blood work and safe trip to and fro

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads

The small pile of soil has been spread, seed sown, and watered in.
S'pposed to rain tonite/tomorrow morn. I just hope that we don't get any gully washers
that'll wash dirt and seed away.............

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

always wanted a blast cabinet, but I will settle for a blast can and a spot behind the garage...everything I want to blast wont fit in a cabinet....:laughing:

Good luck on the blood work and safe trip to and fro

Doc,

The blast cabinet was a good addition to my work shop. My little 'hot-dog' double-tank air-compressor is only rated for 6.4 cfm @ 90 psi and the cabinet says it needs 10 cfm, but overall it works well for the small projects I get into.

Blood work 'almost' went well. Even after being reminded by SWMBO (I love that) I forgot to bring my paper work with me.. However, the folks there were great. They still did the draw and told me they'd call the Drs. office after it opened and have them FAX a new order sheet to them. Still I got back too late to catch a slack tide, so neighbor and I will be going lobstering at Low Tide today.

I did see a number of road cones on my trip down and back, but couldn't bring myself to just outright steal one.. I guess my days as a submarine pirate are truly over. We'd steal anything that struck our fancy, back in those days! Tried to commandeer an Italian Frigate once in Naples Harbor (not by myself, there were probably 30 or so of us) but that's another story.. (One that went badly awry, I'm sorry to say.)

I've got a buddy who works for the road department, I've got to get ahold of him. He'll have a road cone to spare..

Is the reason that you have to 'adapt' the new replacement radiator because it isn't exactly made for that tractor? I noticed it was made in Ireland?

Rog

Last edited:

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

The small pile of soil has been spread, seed sown, and watered in.
S'pposed to rain tonite/tomorrow morn. I just hope that we don't get any gully washers
that'll wash dirt and seed away.............

Geez Ron, didn't you guys get enough rain already? It poured up here for almost three straight days! I thought it was over late yesterday afternoon, buy then wave after wave of rain started going through, most of which were heavy downpours. That kept up until after I turned in for the night.

A cold front must have followed the storm, because it was 15 degrees cooler here this morning than it has been for the last three days, breezy too! At least it's sunny...

I leave landscaping to Mother Nature this time of year. The falling leaves cover the ground as insulation and I don't mow the lawn after September. I'll get back at it in the Spring.

Hope your grass seed germinates and takes hold.

Roger

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads

Doc,

The blast cabinet was a good addition to my work shop. My little 'hot-dog' double-tank air-compressor is only rated for 6.4 cfm @ 90 psi and the cabinet says it needs 10 cfm, but overall it works well for the small projects I get into.

Blood work 'almost' went well. Even after being reminded by SWMBO (I love that) I forgot to bring my paper work with me.. However, the folks there were great. They still did the draw and told me they'd call the Drs. office after it opened and have then FAX a new order sheet to them. Still I got back too late to catch a slack tide, so neighbor and I will be going lobstering at Low Tide today.

I did see a number of road cones on my trip down and back, but couldn't bring myself to just outright steal one.. I guess my days as a submarine pirate are truly over. We'd steal anything that struck our fancy, back in those days! Tried to commandeer an Italian Frigate once in Naples Harbor (not by myself, there were probably 30 or so of us) but that's another story.. (One that went badly awry, I'm sorry to say.)

I've got a buddy who works for the road department, I've got to get ahold of him. He'll have a road cone to spare..

Is the reason that you have to 'adapt' the new replacement radiator because it isn't exactly made for that tractor? I noticed it was made in Ireland?

Rog
for some reason the bolt holes in the bottom always seem to be a bit off, I normally just drill the three outside holes one size bigger before I mount them just to save on the grief

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads

Geez Ron, didn't you guys get enough rain already? It poured up here for almost three straight days! I thought it was over late yesterday afternoon, buy then wave after wave of rain started going through, most of which were heavy downpours. That kept up until after I turned in for the night.

A cold front must have followed the storm, because it was 15 degrees cooler here this morning than it has been for the last three days, breezy too! At least it's sunny...

I leave landscaping to Mother Nature this time of year. The falling leaves cover the ground as insulation and I don't mow the lawn after September. I'll get back at it in the Spring.

Hope your grass seed germinates and takes hold.

Roger

We have indeed had plenty of rain this entire year. May be a record....
But, this time of year the cold fronts come thru one after another, and are typically preceded by a line of showers.
Good for the grass when it is there....ryegrass makes for an excellent winter lawn and establishes rather quickly,
but can still get washed away on the slopes by a good downpour.
The first sowing is now 10 days old and really filling in some areas with green.
Sowing seed for me has always been an inexact science, and it takes 2 or 3 attempts to get the lawn nice and full.
The second seeding is 7 days old, popping up nicely.
Unlike much of Florida, south Mississippi is NOT flat once you get away from the coast! After Sundays downpours,
I had to re-spread soil on a sloped area or 2 and reseed. That was Monday, so 4 days into it.
That stuff has not popped up yet..give it a couple more days.Water 2x a day for 10-15min/session.
Yesterday's spot planting will need another 4-5 days to appear.............

Unlike much of Florida, south Mississippi is NOT flat once you get away from the coast!

My father always said "Fertilize it and water it enough, and you can get to have to mow it at least 3 times a week."
I gotta keep that new Raptor SD busy...........