The Daily Yardman Thread

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: MTD Yardman Transaxle Rebuild

Today was productive, replaced the rear main seal, and housing gasket, replaced oil pump gasket........installed clutch and adjusted the clutch fingers.....replaced the release bearing and adjusted lever throw, bolted the two halfs back together and now I have started tearing down all the little things so that I can clean and repaint......looking forward to using it again.
IMG_5674.jpg
IMG_5675.jpg
IMG_5676.jpg
IMG_5677.jpg
IMG_5678.jpg
IMG_5679.jpg
might need to source out tie rods, right side is bent pretty bad

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

Roger
She Who Must Be Obeyed = SWMBO
You are a married man arn't you ?
Also known as Her In Doors = HID

Bert-Man,

Thank you for your definition of - "The Queen Bee" - I never would have figured that one out. (How about that? Just "QB"? . . . It's shorter and portrays the same requirements for fidelity.)

To answer your question - No, I'm not married. Not any longer anyway. We've been living in sin for nearly 18 years. However, I was married for 35 years prior to my current relationship. I may be a stupid schitt, but I'm not dumb enough to screw up that badly twice!! Of course it is not necessary to be married to have a "SWMBO" (I still like to think of it as "Swim-Bo".) .. .. .. For instance I was excited yesterday when I realized that other than going out to haul lobster traps (at 9 AM) I had nothing else on my plate for today, so I would be able to spend the rest of the day in my shop doing whatever I wanted.. .. .. .. BUT!! Then I discovered that in actuality I have to design two head boards, one for the middle grand daughters new bed and one for the bed we put in our spare bedroom after 'we' finished renovating it. So, I will be spending my day digging through my lumber pile to see if I have enough maple for one and oak for the other... Oh joy - Oh joy...... Each one is suppose to have a dozen or so vertical slats, so I will be spending hours and hours cutting tenons on both ends and then all the mortises!! I've got a tenon jig somewhere, I guess I'd better dig that out..

QB Rules brother!!

Rog

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

Today was productive, replaced the rear main seal, and housing gasket, replaced oil pump gasket........installed clutch and adjusted the clutch fingers.....replaced the release bearing and adjusted lever throw, bolted the two halfs back together and now I have started tearing down all the little things so that I can clean and repaint......looking forward to using it again.
View attachment 34566
View attachment 34567
View attachment 34568
View attachment 34569
View attachment 34570
View attachment 34571
might need to source out tie rods, right side is bent pretty bad

Doc,

Like I said, I wish we lived closer!! I assume the engine is good, so there is no need to tear it down? Could the tie rod be heated and beat into submission and reused? I can't wait to see the finished product.

My BIG job for yesterday was fixing the auto-opening cover on top of the dashboard on our Santa Fe. (Was it you that said you also had a Santa Fe?) Well, if you do, and the cover on top of your dash all of a sudden refuses to open automatically when you press the button, then I'm your man. I now know how to remove the entire storage unit from the dash and repair the problem. (There are two springs that provide the lift, paired with a couple gears that provide the slow-opening effect that looks so neat.)

Not quite as involved as replacing a rear main seal, or adjusting clutch fingers, but still.......

Roger

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

Back from the wedding.
Gully washer of a rainstorm yesterday. Rained at the house before we got home,
but we drove thru it on I-10. Geez, did it come down (thanks to gravity...)
Lots of rye grass sprouts coming up....more to come.
Now I just got 7 yards of dirt dropped into a depression next to a power pole.
That depression was a bit of trouble for the Hustler, so I'm gonna fill it in and get more grass growing.....
Time again to crank up the adjustable shovel and rake......
Fortunately, I just have to spread it around....the driver dumped it in exactly the right spot :smile:

Ron,

Lucky you! Dirt to move around by hand!! It sounds like you are also lucky that your down-pour didn't wash away all your grass seed. I found myself in a rain storm in Ole Miss once many, many years ago that taught me just how little I knew about rain! Coming from Maine, I thought I knew about rain - but I was WRONG!!! When it rains down your way, it doesn't just "rain", it's like someone turned the ocean upside down!! I never had seen anything like it before! It was like being submerged! I've never forgotten the experience and trust me, at this age, I've forgotten lots of exciting stuff..

Rog

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads

Good rainy Tuesday morning gents!!!!

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads

Doc,

Like I said, I wish we lived closer!! I assume the engine is good, so there is no need to tear it down? Could the tie rod be heated and beat into submission and reused? I can't wait to see the finished product.

My BIG job for yesterday was fixing the auto-opening cover on top of the dashboard on our Santa Fe. (Was it you that said you also had a Santa Fe?) Well, if you do, and the cover on top of your dash all of a sudden refuses to open automatically when you press the button, then I'm your man. I now know how to remove the entire storage unit from the dash and repair the problem. (There are two springs that provide the lift, paired with a couple gears that provide the slow-opening effect that looks so neat.)

Not quite as involved as replacing a rear main seal, or adjusting clutch fingers, but still.......

Roger
Engine compression is good, no need to reman at this time.......these engine are best bored out and then sleeved to prevent casting failures, so when you have one that runs strong and is still oem best left alone. Runs clean too, no smoke. I'm just tired of driving it around with it's work cloths on, so a refresh of paint to give it the "Sunday Best" look.

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads

Ron,

Lucky you! Dirt to move around by hand!! It sounds like you are also lucky that your down-pour didn't wash away all your grass seed. I found myself in a rain storm in Ole Miss once many, many years ago that taught me just how little I knew about rain! Coming from Maine, I thought I knew about rain - but I was WRONG!!! When it rains down your way, it doesn't just "rain", it's like someone turned the ocean upside down!! I never had seen anything like it before! It was like being submerged! I've never forgotten the experience and trust me, at this age, I've forgotten lots of exciting stuff..

Rog

I actually have 2 dirt mounds now. Yesterday's load was dumped in the spot where it is needed, but more than
enough for the pit. So, there will be some to be moved.
I have a cheap Harbor Freight dump wagon that handles about 40 shovel fulls at a time, pulled with my golf cart.
We've moved several loads with that setup.

Dirt was hard to come by around here for quite a while, as my dirt guy (cheapest) had a litany of woes, personal and equipment wise,
and when his world was in alignment, heavy rains made the dirt too wet to excavate or haul.
Other sources were WAY too proud of their dirt, and I refused to pay exorbitant amounts.
The other load I purchased was more expensive, but not as much as some guys wanted (and, nicer soil,too.)
So, now that the weather has cooled off, I have plenty to shovel.

And, 10-4 on heavy downpours! Used to be just as bad in Florida.
Neatest scenarios were when it was dry in your yard, but teeming across the street!
Sunday's deluge eroded one area, but the main regions escaped much in the way of washout.
And there are now little green rye shoots coming up everywhere!

Gotta have something to mow in the winter!

Pumper54

Threads

Just a quick update for your viewing pleasure. Spent 20 minutes in a very, very small space getting pounded with magnetic energy (MRI)with the results being put on a CD which I delivered to my ortho doc. Now I wait to see what the results are. Getting real tired of my shoulder and arm hurting. Wish that I had something to tear down and rebuild but most everything is working correctly or the parts are too big for me to mess with. I did manage to add a remote air intake on my "mower from hell" brush mower. Will have to post some pictures. Pretty wild what you can do with PVC pipe, duct collection system parts, old radiator hose and spare nuts and bolts.
Weather has cooled down nicely and I wish I could be out riding my motorcycle but the arm hurt like hell the last time I tried it. Y'all play nice and have fun.
Tom

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads

Views: 109,929
10-24-2017
8:46 am CST

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

Just a quick update for your viewing pleasure. Spent 20 minutes in a very, very small space getting pounded with magnetic energy (MRI)with the results being put on a CD which I delivered to my ortho doc. Now I wait to see what the results are. Getting real tired of my shoulder and arm hurting. Wish that I had something to tear down and rebuild but most everything is working correctly or the parts are too big for me to mess with. I did manage to add a remote air intake on my "mower from hell" brush mower. Will have to post some pictures. Pretty wild what you can do with PVC pipe, duct collection system parts, old radiator hose and spare nuts and bolts.
Weather has cooled down nicely and I wish I could be out riding my motorcycle but the arm hurt like hell the last time I tried it. Y'all play nice and have fun.
Tom

Good hearing from ya, (thinking bout re-naming you Houdini since you manage to "disappear" before we know it, BUT,.. now, ya got Trev (Bertsmobile1) doin it too! ) your suffering now, may well be the "Karma" for the anxiety you caused us on your last escapade !! ..:laughing:..:laughing:..:laughing:..:laughing:..:laughing:

Quit yer dickin aroun and get better, the Holidays are almost here !! ..:thumbsup:..:thumbsup: