Testing Ethanol E10 When Mixed for 2 Cycle Equipment

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Testing Ethanol E10 When Mixed for 2 Cycle Equipment
Can you really test fuel to diagnosis a carb or fuel issue? I had landscape owner call and said he's been having issues with the newer 2 cycle carbs. One he mentioned was the newer TS510 Stihl. He said have this trouble out of the older model. He said he's been replacing carbs on the 2 cycles he had issues but nothing was a long term fix. I told him its probably fuel related issues. He said he disagrees and he had the fuel tested and tested OK. Then later he says he has a couple of the swindaiwa hedge trimmers and they lose rpms when get tipped when using them.

Whats your input?

Mini Motors

Threads
I don't see how a test of the fuel will lead to an answer of why a carb goes bad. I'm not even sure what kind of test you could do. Ethanol in gas is a fact. And where it causes damage in a carb is because ethanol attracts moisture out of the air. That moisture causes corrosion on certain parts of some carbs. Ethanol causes other issues further down the path inside the combustion chamber, in that it promotes carbon more than gasoline without ethanol. An additive like Sea Foam can help reduce this, and in time, might remove carbon buildup. But I don't know of anything that can help in the carbs.

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'll be surprised if he shows with anything for to fix.

I dont even use the E10 in 2 cycles. I use the 50:1 Tru Fuel premixed gas with no ethanol in it.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Never a problem with 87 octane E 10 since 04 with two low end string trimmers. Mixed with Poulan synthetic 2 stroke oil.