Testing B&S Coil

Golodkin

Threads
A blade trimmer that has worked flawlessly for years suddenly stopped working and gets no spark from the coil lead.

The 2 HP B&S engine is a 60102 and the coil is exactly like this one:

[edit: It's a 298502 coil/armature.]

$%28KGrHqJ,!ngFBh!8-0YZBRvRTD%28j-w~~60_35.JPG

https://tinyurl.com/kvq96as

There are three leads: One to the spark plug, one to the points and a twisted pair of magnet wire from the coil going to ground.

The magnet seems extremely strong.

I want to test the coil and see if it's the problem, but the information I've found online so far is 180-degrees contradictory.

DC resistance between the spark plug cable and ground is a steady 3000 Ohms. Depending on who you believe, this means either it's perfectly good or it's stone dead. Helpful, huh? Presumably, they're talking about different coils, but they don't clarify.

To get to the lead going to the points, I have to pull the flywheel, which I'd rather not do if I don't have to.

Any suggestions as to how to test this coil and where to go from here?

If the above info indicates that this is indeed a dead coil, is it possible to retrofit a new electronic ignition coil to this model?

Thanks!

Last edited:

FloGro

Threads
unplug your ground/kill switch wire on the coil if its still not getting spark then its the coil

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
This is what I taught my students when testing non CDI coils. Primary resistance should be less that 15 ohms. Secondary resistance should be between 13,000-15,000 ohms. There are those around here who don't think I know any thing so read my signature. I would replace your coil with a CDI coil.

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
This is what I taught my students when testing non CDI coils. Primary resistance should be less that 15 ohms. Secondary resistance should be between 13,000-15,000 ohms. There are those around here who don't think I know any thing so read my signature. I would replace your coil with a CDI coil.

Where do buy a CDI coil?

Mike88se

Threads
:cool: Nah... I think most people can tell the difference between solid knowledge and people like me who know a little but mostly fly by the seat of our pants ;)
Anytime you can get rid of points I say do it. I don't know anything about points on small engines but I had a 240z and one of the first things I did was install an EI distributor and module. One of the best cheap things I ever did to improve it.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You just take your old coil, with all your engine numbers, to any good repair shop andtheycan cross reference to the right coil for you. Most of the old point systems can be converted. You can also by the same coil which you have and then also purchase a conversion kit, but I would not go that route in this case, unless the coil tests good.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads

I'll take your word over those who don't think you don't know anything :)