Tecumseh vertical engine


Thanks for the links Rivets!

I have a stubborn Tec carb off a 7HP I cleaned a bunch of times but the blower is still running lean, surges badly or stalls if the RPMs are lowered. The RPMs will even out if the choke is clicked just one position from full open. So, it must be almost fixed, with more cleaning of the idle circuit hope it's good, these manuals should help.
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the links Rivets!

I have a stubborn Tec carb off a 7HP I cleaned a bunch of times but the blower is still running lean, surges badly or stalls if the RPMs are lowered. The RPMs will even out if the choke is clicked just one position from full open. So, it must be almost fixed, with more cleaning of the idle circuit hope it's good, these manuals should help.

Update...

After re-cleaning the carb's idle and primary jets, I reassembled the carb and went to mount it to the motor. I noticed the carb diagram in the manual, the main needle was meant to have an O ring and washer after the spring... hmmmm. I sweep the garage floor and find the O ring and washer! D'oh! They must have fallen out when I first unscrewed it to checked if the jets were gunked up. Anyway, it's back running great, thanks again for the great site and help! :thumbsup:

IMG_20130727_164327_207.jpg

Edit: forgot to mention, adjusted the bowl float as well... used a 13/64th drill set it.
 
Last edited:
Please help ... I have mid 70's vintage Yardman Snow Bird with a Tecumseh 10 hp. For the last several years, it would only run with the choke on 1/2 to 3/4. I replaced the head casket and plug and it still wouldn't run right. Today I took the carb off, removed the bowl and gave it all a good cleaning. I reinstalled, set the carb as specified per the manuals noted in the previous post, for a series III unit. The engine started right up but wants to run full out, no slow idle, only fast. The numbers on the carb are 692 7H19.

Any advise would help ... do I replace the carb or rebuild it? Thank you!

I meant to note that Lauson Engine is on the bottom of the bowl.
 
Please help ... I have mid 70's vintage Yardman Snow Bird with a Tecumseh 10 hp. For the last several years, it would only run with the choke on 1/2 to 3/4. I replaced the head casket and plug and it still wouldn't run right. Today I took the carb off, removed the bowl and gave it all a good cleaning. I reinstalled, set the carb as specified per the manuals noted in the previous post, for a series III unit. The engine started right up but wants to run full out, no slow idle, only fast. The numbers on the carb are 692 7H19.

Any advise would help ... do I replace the carb or rebuild it? Thank you!

Did you hook up the govenor and throttle correctly or bent the rods when you removed the carb
 
I was careful not to bend them. I've seen some other post about the govenor and throttle linkage not being the best design and I can't find a diagram showing th propper setup. I was going to take a pic of the carb & setup before I started but needless to say, I didn't.
 
I have the 10hp Tecumseh Snow King on my 1995 MTD snow blower and it runs like a champ. Always starts on the first or second pull, even after summer storage. I also have a Tecumseh HH120 (12hp) in my 1967 Sears SS12 which also runs great. It says 12hp, but man can that tractor pull..:smile:
Bruce
Agreed. My MTD snowblower is also a 1995, but a 5hp Snow King on a 22" two-stage. It's been all I needed since then, but the snow here at my new place is putting a lot of strain on it. I probably need something the size of yours. Just changed the oil, plug, and belts and adjusted the carb and it runs like a champ again. Saving the belts, because I couldn't believe how good a shape they were in for being 18 years old.:laughing: I have no complaints for Tecumseh-I have 3 of them that have never given me anything but good service. One is a 3.5 on a Rupp mini-bike from 1970.
 
If you can, take some pics of how you have it set-up now. I have done hundreds of these engines and if I can't figure out how it should be hooked up there are a few more of us old farts who should be about to help you. Close-ups of each part and some of the entire section. Remember, we aren't there and you want to give us as much info with pics as you can.
 
Back
Top