Tecumseh vertical engine

silver1

Well-Known Member
After playing with my second Tecumseh 10 Hp. engine I can see why they went out of business!
Their carburetor and governor linkage suck. The first was a VM100 and the second is a TVM 220.
Both have the same governor setup and the carburetors are almost the same but the TVM 220
does not have the high speed adjustment on the bottom of the bowl. :frown:
 
After playing with my second Tecumseh 10 Hp. engine I can see why they went out of business!
Their carburetor and governor linkage suck. The first was a VM100 and the second is a TVM 220.
Both have the same governor setup and the carburetors are almost the same but the TVM 220
does not have the high speed adjustment on the bottom of the bowl. :frown:

Did they really go out of business? I have always loathed tecumseh engines...... never can keep one running built cheap and I think they lie about power output
 
Tecumseh built the best snowblower engine ever made. There is no better engine than the "Snowking". Tecumseh did not go out of business due to engine quality, but due to not being able to last through the last economic downturn. I expect to see "Tecumseh" engines coming back in the next few years, as a company has purchased a vast majority of the dies and equipment from the bankrupt company.
 
Tecumseh built the best snowblower engine ever made. There is no better engine than the "Snowking". Tecumseh did not go out of business due to engine quality, but due to not being able to last through the last economic downturn. I expect to see "Tecumseh" engines coming back in the next few years, as a company has purchased a vast majority of the dies and equipment from the bankrupt company.

Why is it the best. And why didn't they keep the quality on their other machines?
 
Why doesn't every manufacturer have the same quality in everything they make? I can't answer that question. Just know that having worked on engines for over 40 years, Tecumseh engines are good engines. Why do you say they are bad?
 
Why doesn't every manufacturer have the same quality in everything they make? I can't answer that question. Just know that having worked on engines for over 40 years, Tecumseh engines are good engines. Why do you say they are bad?

Like I said I have never kept one running. I have 3 out in my back yard I can't get running. And am going to give to my scrap metal guy.

Didn't answer my question tho. Why is that the best snow thrower engine?
 
Tecumseh built the best snowblower engine ever made. There is no better engine than the "Snowking". Tecumseh did not go out of business due to engine quality, but due to not being able to last through the last economic downturn. I expect to see "Tecumseh" engines coming back in the next few years, as a company has purchased a vast majority of the dies and equipment from the bankrupt company.

AGREED - Tecumseh in My opinion is 1 of the better built small engines to be found - The simplicity of Their design is on purpose, Less does in fact mean better (less things to break) Quality didn't destroy the company, POOR MANAGEMENT DID...... Along with agreeing to unsustainable Union demands - Has doomed many companies - And Will destroy alot more - Sooner rather then later Im afraid
 
Because they are still running after 40 years. Don't know why you can't keep them running. If you say it is a fuel problem, simple cheap fix. Ultrasonically clean the carb and rebuild with part #631021B. Use non ethanol fuel, no more problems.
 
Because they are still running after 40 years. Don't know why you can't keep them running. If you say it is a fuel problem, simple cheap fix. Ultrasonically clean the carb and rebuild with part #631021B. Use non ethanol fuel, no more problems.

One is froze (my sister ran no oil) one has some piston scarring. And one I honestly don't know cleaned soaked and rebuilt carb replaced fuel lines. New head gasket all the inerds looked good. The compression is good has spark. And new plug new wire just won't fire. Even with starter fluid. It'll just spin and spin and won't actually start.
 
We always had good success with Tecumseh engines. Had them on mowers and tillers both and they ran and ran and ran.
 
Back
Top