Tecumseh - Smoke Through Muffler When Engine Shuts Off

GAVolunteer

Threads
  • / Tecumseh - Smoke Through Muffler When Engine Shuts Off
Troy Bilt Chipper/Shredder -47279 1993 model
Tecumseh H50-65582U Ser # 3069D 5 HP Horisontal Engine

Working on a friends chipper. The initial problem was that when the engine was running and especially when the engine was shutting off, oil was leaking out of the breather hose which is attached to the valve cover on the breather. I removed the valve cover, breather body and breather element. The tiny hole in the breather body was clogged which was causing oil to collect in the breather body and then come out of the breather hose, There are no problems with oil leaking out of the breather hose now.

The oil was also very dirty, which I changed. The dirty oil may have caused the breather to get clogged.

However, after I run the engine for several minutes and shut it off, quite a bit of light gray smoke comes out of the muffler as the engine is stopping and the chipper/shredder disc is stopping (which takes longer to stop than a mower blade). I do not know if the engine was doing this before I cleaned the breather.

It appears to me that as the engine is stopping, oil from the behind the breather and around the valve springs may be seeping back through the exhaust valve and into the hot muffler which then burns off the oil. But that is just a guess. I do not see any smoke when the engine is running … only after the engine has shut off and is stopping.

Is this an indication that the breather is still not working correctly and needs to be replaced? What else would cause this problem?

Thanks
Robert

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Tecumseh - Smoke Through Muffler When Engine Shuts Off
Your detective work is good and yes the oil vapour could very well be passing through the carb and burning off inside the hot muffler.
However a blown head gasket might be the real culprit, causing excessive crankcase pressure which in turn pushes a lot more vapour through the breather.
The not always accurate test is to run the engine for a few minutes then when it has stopped remove the dip stick or the breather tube .
If it is sending up smoke signals after the engine has stopped spinning then you either have a blown gasket or worn out rings