Tecumseh OHH60 hard starting

nbpt100

Threads
I have a 6hp OHV Tecumseh that is hard starting. I adjusted the valves to .004 each. New spark plug, cleaned the carb and changed the primer bulb. Replaced the gas with fresh gas. I checked the flywheel key and it is in place, not sheared. It starts fine with starter fluid. It seems impossible to start otherwise. Many pulls and many primer pushes.

Thoughts?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First thing I always check on Tecumseh engines which have a hard starting problem is float level. Float seat will swell, lowering the fuel level in the float bowl. If I find this I replace the float needle and seat, plus adjust the float level.

Bertrrr

Threads
Well it's definatly fuel so go back through the carb and start over with cleaning etc.

nbpt100

Threads
First thing I always check on Tecumseh engines which have a hard starting problem is float level. Float seat will swell, lowering the fuel level in the float bowl. If I find this I replace the float needle and seat, plus adjust the float level.
I forgot to say I did change the seat. I also adjusted the float height to 11/64th as they explain in the shop manual.
The fuel should be good. But who knows.???

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Try this trick, close off the carb air intake with your hand and give it a good pull. If all jets are open your hand should get covered with gas, and the engine may even start. When you post back, please give us the spec number so we can narrow down which carb you have.

nbpt100

Threads
The carb is 640025. It is a fixed jet carb with the plastic emulsion tube. I am usually good with cleaning carbs with wires and compressed air and a can of carb cleaner.

I am going to break it down and put it in my ultrasonic cleaner. I usually only use it for very dirty carbs........This one was not.
I leak down tested it and it all seemed ok. About 2-3% leakage at 100 psi. All seemed to be from the crank case.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Just as a side note. On some of the Tecumseh engines one of the air cleaner base mounting bolts goes into the primer cavity and if the cover is not installed or at least the bolt it won't prime. Also if the bowl gasket isn't sealing they won't prime either.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Two things which come to mind when I see that carb. First, more that once I’ve seen the float assist spring not installed properly. Second, did you make sure that the idle jet is very clean, both vertically and horizontally? I should add that when I set the float height on these carbs, I set them slightly rich, meaning the pin side of the float is higher than the free side.

Last edited:

nbpt100

Threads
Just as a side note. On some of the Tecumseh engines one of the air cleaner base mounting bolts goes into the primer cavity and if the cover is not installed or at least the bolt it won't prime. Also if the bowl gasket isn't sealing they won't prime either.
Yes! I put my finger over that bolt hole and the primer pushed gas through the main jet into the throat. YES. thank you so much!!!!! I was pulling my hair out on this. This is my first time working on this style of engine and I will never forget this!!!!

The owner said this has been hard starting for a very long time and I am not sure exactly why. There was a lot of dirt under the primer bulb for some reason. I wonder if he was runing with out the air filter?????

I am going to put some teflon tape on that bolt to make sure it is 100% sealed.

Thanks to ILengine and Rivets for their insights!!

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Yes! I put my finger over that bolt hole and the primer pushed gas through the main jet into the throat. YES. thank you so much!!!!! I was pulling my hair out on this. This is my first time working on this style of engine and I will never forget this!!!!

The owner said this has been hard starting for a very long time and I am not sure exactly why. There was a lot of dirt under the primer bulb for some reason. I wonder if he was runing with out the air filter?????

I am going to put some teflon tape on that bolt to make sure it is 100% sealed.

Thanks to ILengine and Rivets for their insights!!
Teflon tape not required. It will seal well enough with just being installed and tightened with the air filter base installed