Tecumseh engine kicks back, but flywheel key looks normal

fairtax1

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Tecumseh engine kicks back, but flywheel key looks normal
I have a Tecumseh ovrm120 engine from the side of the road. The previous owner just said it all of a sudden wouldn't start and "needs a new rope or something." It kicks back and the dog ears are ripped out of the recoil starter. The flywheel key looks absolutely normal to me and the blade doesn't look like it made impact with anything at all. Yes, it can be turned over by hand, but there are two tight spots one after the other while doing this, which I don't think should be there. I'm not positive, though.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. My running mower was stolen and my grass is getting very tall!

Last edited:

benski

Threads
Make sure your mower blade is on nice and tight. I've done this to myself more times than I can count with the bruised fingers on one hand..:ashamed:

fairtax1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks. Yes, the blade is on tight.

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
sometimes a flywheel key will be sheared so cleanly..you cant tell......do have the bolt off the top for a good view?........also you can check by pulling the spark plug and getting it on the compression stroke..at the same time the magnet will cross the pick up...you can see in this video engine basics - YouTube