Tecumseh carburetor repair on Snapper Snow blower

tigercat

Threads
Here is a short story that might help someone else. I own a 9 HP / 26" Snapper Snow Thrower series 5 machine. Model 9265. It has a Tecumseh 9 HP engine model # HMSK90 156519D. Machine is about 10 years old.

The Snapper is one of two machines that I use to clear my driveway every winter. The machine wasn't running as well as it did and I thought I was screwed on the carburetor as it's the new sealed type. I discovered that a simple repair might get your machine running like new again.

My problem with the machine is it would not idle as it would quickly stall. It would only run wide open but the engine rpm would surge up and down.

By looking at the picture, the red arrow points to a screw. Using a flat bladed screw driver, remove the cap over the screw. Just twist it off. It will fall away. Then simply remove the screw. Using a heavy steel wire clean the holes inside that valve (the screw has 2 holes in it). Make sure the holes are clean and test it by blowing air thru the screw.

Then just reinstall it into the carburetor.

Then fire it up. Now my machine idles fine and runs at full speed properly. A simple 5 minute job that is easy to do that just may help someone else out.

The picture of the carburetor isn't exactly my carburetor model but will point to the screw in question.

Good luck and I hope this helps someone out!

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Have you removed the nut holding the bowl on the bottom and cleaned it as well?

tigercat

Threads
No, I didn't remove the bowl. I just tried the side screw and it's fixed. The older type carbs have an adjustment screw on the side (were I removed) and on the bowl. I always run stable in all my machines. I guess dirt or varnish still found it's way into the carb.

Well, it's OK now. They said more snow tomorrow...JOY!