Tecumseh carburetor 640172 needs replacing - will others work?

Dougted

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Tecumseh carburetor 640172 needs replacing - will others work?
I just bought a used edger with a 4 hp Tecumseh motor and a 5115 / 640172 carb that will not deliver fuel to the engine. I got it running on starter fluid, but the carb bowl and bottom of float are crusty from sitting, and the seals and seats are ugly. Id rather replace than rebuild it myself if I can, but the new 640172 is pricey. Is see many carbs with numbers close to 620172 that look almost identical that cost much less. Is this a case where I can swap for a close match, or do I need to suck it up? Any suggestions on good replacements or suppliers welcome? Engine is model 143984001

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I just bought a used edger with a 4 hp Tecumseh motor and a 5115 / 640172 carb that will not deliver fuel to the engine. I got it running on starter fluid, but the carb bowl and bottom of float are crusty from sitting, and the seals and seats are ugly. Id rather replace than rebuild it myself if I can, but the new 640172 is pricey. Is see many carbs with numbers close to 620172 that look almost identical that cost much less. Is this a case where I can swap for a close match, or do I need to suck it up? Any suggestions on good replacements or suppliers welcome? Engine is model 143984001

$54.95 https://www.smallenginesuppliers.com/shop/html/pages/products/Tecumseh_Carburetors5261.html

upupandaway

Threads
Is this a case where I can swap for a close match, or do I need to suck it up?

So long as the part satisfies the right fuel mixture (or is adjustable), you can use a non official carb. The two screw holes are pretty standard. Just need to confirm if the throttle link and or choke link, etc fit. Another possibility is maybe there is a shop that will let u get a part off a unit being tossed. Where I lived $10 got u the whole mower. Catch is with the time spent, getting one that works, an exact replacement pays off.
Post a pic of your carb. I have a few old tec carb bodies sitting in my drawer.