Taps & Dies

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have a good set of Hanson SAE taps and dies and have used them for years. So when I needed a set of metrics I bought a cheap set from HF. I have been getting by with them but you get what you pay for. (Chinese Junk) I have been looking on E-Bay but find many different brands and prices. I want a good set that will last but don't want to spend over 300 dollars for something I wouldn't be using that much anymore. Just what do some of you use in the repair business for taps and dies. I see that the Snap-On dies are adjustable to make the threads loose or tight which I like the looks of.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You should be able to find a good metric set Irwin, (Irwin Hanson). They are of the same quality of your SAE set. I personally would go with a Carbon or High Carbon steel, best I could afford. Carefully look at the sizes you use most often. As you know a single screw can have up to 3 pitch sizes. Going metric at times is better accomplished by buying singletons as you need them. I also have Hansen SAE set at home, with metric singletons. Snap On set SAE and Metric set at the shop. Both break, but as you know Snap On is replaced free. Shopping online for Irwin, you should be able to find a good set for around $200. Just my thoughts.
P.S. While teaching the machine shop instructor swore by Morse, which I found to hold up well for student use. Stayed sharp and took the student abuse.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Little more money but I went for the 41 peace snap on set. I liked the looks of the adjustable dies, Never used that style die but I will find out how whey work.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
They work great, learning curve on how to adjust is very short.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Have a set of Crafsman tungsten based sae tap dies from the 1960's which are still strong. Have a set of Japanese metrics, black oxide, guessing high carbon steel-very good. Also have a really big Taiwan sourced set of metric taps dies . You read (sometimes ) that Taiwan stuff is better and I have generally found that true, but this set contained a mismarked die-pretty big as I recall. I had a set of H Frt black carbon dies once. When compared to the Japanese set and the "class fit" of random bolts/nuts they were simply not producing usable threads. Real junk. Today I looked for USmade stuff-hard to find, 3 times or more price, and sometimes weasel- worded "Made in US" ad. They are allowed to advertise US if so much content is US based-like packaging.

At H Frt I find most of the DrillMaster stuff is pretty good and I also got a set of Russian cobalt drills which are excellent. So it's kind of a crap shoot. Although some criticise Japanese tools, I prefer them to Chinese every time, and they too are pricey. We should start a thread on "good buy" starter tools for lawn mower repair and maintenance.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Have a set of Crafsman tungsten based sae tap dies from the 1960's which are still strong. Have a set of Japanese metrics, black oxide, guessing high carbon steel-very good. Also have a really big Taiwan sourced set of metric taps dies . You read (sometimes ) that Taiwan stuff is better and I have generally found that true, but this set contained a mismarked die-pretty big as I recall. I had a set of H Frt black carbon dies once. When compared to the Japanese set and the "class fit" of random bolts/nuts they were simply not producing usable threads. Real junk. Today I looked for USmade stuff-hard to find, 3 times or more price, and sometimes weasel- worded "Made in US" ad. They are allowed to advertise US if so much content is US based-like packaging.

At H Frt I find most of the DrillMaster stuff is pretty good and I also got a set of Russian cobalt drills which are excellent. So it's kind of a crap shoot. Although some criticise Japanese tools, I prefer them to Chinese every time, and they too are pricey. We should start a thread on "good buy" starter tools for lawn mower repair and maintenance.

I really don't know where the snap on taps and dies are made, never looked into it? I do have a lot of snap on tools and have found through the years if anything breaks even through miss use Snap On replaces it no questions asked. I have even bought broken snap on tools at flee markets and the dealer gives me new for the broken tools. Yes Snap On is pricey but when you are making a living using tools a bad or broken tool is useless. Then on top of it all Snap On are one of the better tools made.