Tanaka TB-340 weed trimmer

ToddB

Forum Newbie
Threads
Tanaka TBC-340 weed trimmer: Won't start.

Seems to have compression: resistance when pulling the starter.
Has spark: checked by grounding against cylinder, electrodes grey/brownish, not blackened, not wet.
Fuel mix seems fine: used same gas elsewhere.
Air filter clean.

First time taking apart a carburetor. Everything inside seems perfectly clean inside. Can blow through the two fuel inlets, and can see through the jet or whatever it's called in the middle. The only thing that looks off is the diaphragm. It is kind of puckered. Photo attached. Could that be the problem?

Thanks!

Attachments

• carb-diaphragm.jpg
    carb-diaphragm.jpg
    578.6 KB · Views: 6

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Rare for a metering diaphragm to prevent starting
Usually a stuffed one will either cause the engine to stall out lean if it is too hard or flood if it is too loose or punctured.
Now I never ever reuse gaskets of diaphragms on cube carbs .

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Awesome trimmer bought one in 2004 Still running strong.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Awesome trimmer bought one in 2004 Still running strong.
Tanaka is good product (discontinued). Replaced metering diaphragm, make sure fuel screen is clean and put fuel in carburetor “bowl” when apart and push lever to needle and seat and see if fuel is going through at nice rate.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Tanaka TBC-340 weed trimmer: Won't start.

Seems to have compression: resistance when pulling the starter.
Has spark: checked by grounding against cylinder, electrodes grey/brownish, not blackened, not wet.
Fuel mix seems fine: used same gas elsewhere.
Air filter clean.

First time taking apart a carburetor. Everything inside seems perfectly clean inside. Can blow through the two fuel inlets, and can see through the jet or whatever it's called in the middle. The only thing that looks off is the diaphragm. It is kind of puckered. Photo attached. Could that be the problem?

Thanks!

What did you use to blow though the inlets with?

ToddB

Forum Newbie
Threads
What did you use to blow though the inlets with?
I used mouth, lips, air... I also poked through with a wire, a twist-tie with plastic stripped off. I can also see through one of the gas inlets, and the jet in the center. It's totally clean inside, no dirt or buildup at all.

ToddB

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm going to put the carb back together and retry. None of the seals are torn, and there seems to be nothing to clean.

I did find a carb kit for it, I'll get that. And carb cleaner. For now, from your answers, I'm betting the carb is OK. And the two gas lines are clear. The filter in the gas tank should be fine because I cleaned it last year, but I'll recheck.

Thanks! I'll post again when the carb is back on.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I used mouth, lips, air... I also poked through with a wire, a twist-tie with plastic stripped off. I can also see through one of the gas inlets, and the jet in the center. It's totally clean inside, no dirt or buildup at all.

Ah, ok. When I first started messing with these, like a dummy I used compressed air, and blew the check valve out the other side.