T2500 / 917.20378 Rear Axle issues/leaking

cpolarbear

Forum Newbie
Threads
My T2500 has started leaking fluid out one of the transaxle wheel shaft seals. It appears the unit has no orifice to be able to add axle fluid/gear oil to top it off. I have been unable to find any info on the transaxle to research, specifically which part number applies to the axle to look for repairs or replacements. Can anyone assist in locating the part number of this unit and if I can replace the seals and top off the fluid? It has made the tractor very iffy to go in reverse, and only okay going forward. Runs great otherwise, the Kohler engine is smooth and strong.
T2500 Craftsman.jpg

MowerNick

Threads
Going by your model number that machine uses a plastic general transmission. I have spoke to them before about fluid for those and was told there is no fill. They also told me that the fluid that had leaked out wouldnt be enough to cause an issue but idk if I buy it. Those transmissions dont do well once they are covered in grass and dirt.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Those transmissions dont do well once they are covered in grass and dirt.
That is the truth.. Remember long I had one, Dana POS.. I swapped in a Peerless that worked fine & then sold the mower.

Last edited:

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
No internal parts available only external. POJ

cpolarbear

Forum Newbie
Threads
Going by your model number that machine uses a plastic general transmission. I have spoke to them before about fluid for those and was told there is no fill. They also told me that the fluid that had leaked out wouldnt be enough to cause an issue but idk if I buy it. Those transmissions dont do well once they are covered in grass and dirt.
I know if enough fluid leaks out then the transmission won't work well, which is the issue I'm having. Reverse gets super iffy especially as the trans is warmed up. I'd replace if I could find a reasonable priced good one, but need part # if anyone can identify.

cpolarbear

Forum Newbie
Threads
That is the truth.. Remember long I had one, Dana POS.. I swapped in a Peerless that worked fine & then sold the mower.
Do you recall what the transaxle part # was, or where I can locate?

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sorry that was very long ago... I can't recall.

MowerNick

Threads
There should be a tag with a part number on the case somewhere

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
There should be a tag with a part number on the case somewhere

Make sure you price what one of these plastic transaxles costs. It will be more than the mower is worth. Plus you have the time or labor to remove and replace.

I would try to drill a hole in top of plastic housing and add 20W-50 synthetic oil as needed. Make hole large enough to get fill tube and screwdriver in to check oil (1” from top is full). Install a plug/screw/something in fill hole and run it.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Come on you dummies...The GTI RS800 series uses grease not oil. And there are instructions for adding it without opening the case.

And someone beside me should just look up the GTI RS800F and give the OP the PN for the axle seals. Or are there any real shops on this forum???

I have the info but will not post it due to insults I have received. As I said I retired from giving most help on this forum. Now I just getting kicks out of how uninformed some members are that are just throwing something out just to be posting. Come on guys if you know what you posting about post it but if you are just guessing don't post. Guessing just gets everyone in trouble.