Synthetic oil

Lawn Addict
Threads
Lucky me, Tractor supply sells it in 1 quart bottles.
The capacity is 1.5 quarts

Right from Kawasaki website.

Ideal for all engines where API, CJ-4, SL and JASO MA oil is recommended.

• Designed to keep today’s high-performance, low-emission engines clean and operating at peak efficiency
  • Protects against excessive viscosity decrease at high temperatures
  • Manufactured with the latest additive technologies to provide superior performance
  • Excellent shear stability assures stay-in-grade performance
  • KTECH™ 4-cycle oil contains a zinc additive which prevents excess wear on engine parts.
Shell Rotella exceeds this standard in the 15w-40 T-4 oil. Read it on the back on any bottle.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you look around I think you can find some SJ or SH spec oils in the implement stores and maybe in the lawnmower section. The Rotella T-4 oil seems to be fine for about any engine that doesn't call for the latest specs. But watch for "meets or exceeds" on anything you buy. Might wind up with a cylinder bore like this:

briggsoldcylinder 2.jpg

Might notice the wear is below the rings, piston itself is scoring the cylinder walls. Poor lubrication on the Kool Bore Briggs.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
If you look around I think you can find some SJ or SH spec oils in the implement stores and maybe in the lawnmower section. The Rotella T-4 oil seems to be fine for about any engine that doesn't call for the latest specs. But watch for "meets or exceeds" on anything you buy. Might wind up with a cylinder bore like this:

View attachment 46336

Might notice the wear is below the rings, piston itself is scoring the cylinder walls. Poor lubrication on the Kool Bore Briggs.
It'll hone out...... ?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Right from Kawasaki website.

Ideal for all engines where API, CJ-4, SL and JASO MA oil is recommended.

• Designed to keep today’s high-performance, low-emission engines clean and operating at peak efficiency
  • Protects against excessive viscosity decrease at high temperatures
  • Manufactured with the latest additive technologies to provide superior performance
  • Excellent shear stability assures stay-in-grade performance
  • KTECH™ 4-cycle oil contains a zinc additive which prevents excess wear on engine parts.
Shell Rotella exceeds this standard in the 15w-40 T-4 oil. Read it on the back on any bottle.
Cool, good to know

Lawn Addict
Threads
Tom- I'd say that Flatty bore has seen better days.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I have yet to pull apart a aluminium bore engine without any scoring or galling of sorts.
I like cast sleeve engines so much more, granted they can still score. They seem to last longer to me

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Changed the oil in the mule today with Rotella 15w40..... Date on the bottle was november,
I think i've already gained 20 horse power and about 30 ft lbs of torque..... ??

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Careful. The cops are out thick with the holidays. Might get get nailed with a mowing violation for excessive speed with all that newfound horsepower.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads

View attachment 46336

I've often thought about how harsh carbon could be on a cylinder, when a piece of it breaks loose. Cleaning one out, with gas treatments and things of that nature might not be such a good idea. That's some pretty deep scores below where the rings stop.